Search This Blog


Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Sweetest Thing


I had another post in mind for tonight, but I just had to change it. Usually when I write about our youngest child, it's in "The Chronicles of Biscuit" posts. "Biscuit" is always "up" to something and it's usually funny! But tonight....he's Tyler....and it's just the sweetest thing......

Each second Wednesday night of the month, instead of regular Bible classes, we have singing night. Boys and men of all ages go up and lead a song. Tyler is six, and is the youngest one that led a song tonight. After he led his song, he came and sat down. Others led songs and towards the end of the worship, my husband went to lead his song. He led "When All of God's Singers Get Home" and then came and sat down.

Tyler didn't go to school yesterday. He went to the doctor and was diagnosed with strep throat, but after being on the medicine for a day and feeling good, everything seemed fine, so went to school today. Towards the end of the worship, though, Tyler said his tummy was hurting and then a little later he started crying. I usually don't let the kiddos go out during services, but it seemed pretty bad, so he and I went to the bathroom. He went in and went out pretty fast. He seemed just fine. I asked him if he was okay and he said that he was. I asked him if his tummy hurt and he said it didn't. I said, "Then why were you crying? I thought you were sick." He started crying again and said, "That song makes me think of people in our family who have died." I said, "Which song? The one dad led?" He said, "Uh, huh."

I wanted to cry right there with him. It was the sweetest thing! I asked him who it made him think about and he said "Great Grammy", who was his 97-year-old great-grandmother, Amy, who passed away in January, and he said "Grandpa Gene", who was his 87-year-old great-grandpa who passed away three years ago. They were the two "greats" that he knew the most, even though two others have passed away in the last several years, as well. Tyler said, "Daddy led that song at Great-Grammy's funeral". And he did. In fact, that funeral was full of songs led by my husband, his three brothers, plus cousins, nephews, and uncles. It was a big celebration of her life as a Christian woman and she loved singing praises to God.

This post is a lot like yesterday's because it has to do with precious memories. What I think about, though, is the influence these two people had in Tyler's life, as well as so many other's lives. You see, his Great-Grandmother Amy was a preacher's wife for 50 years. She lived a faithful Christian life in service to God and to others. People still talk about she and her husband and the things they did or the things they taught them years ago. And Tyler's Great-Grandpa Gene? Well his memory still lives on, too. Since his death we have heard and are still hearing of the good deeds he did and the example he was to others. It's amazing the things he did....quietly...and without any thought of wanting praise or recognition.

I am so thankful all four of my children were able to see these two Christian examples for the years they did. Their example and their memory in Tyler's mind makes me think of my own life. What do I want my grandchildren and my great-grandchildren to remember about me? What legacy will I leave? What will yours think about you? What legacy will you leave?

Anyway, it was just the sweetest thing.....

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Wow! That is extremely mature of him to make the connection with that song! What an awesome kid!

 
Pin It button on image hover