Search This Blog


Monday, April 6, 2009

Make Me A Servant

Today I was able to visit one of my favorite places - Quartz Mountain Christian Camp (QMCC)! The Sojourners are an organized group of volunteers who travel in RV's, working at various places throughout the country. They come to QMCC every year at this time. In a few weeks some of them will be coming to Tipton to work at Tipton (Children's) Home. We always look forward to seeing them again.

I had signed up to cook lunch for them today and have for the past five or six years. My menu is always the same: beef and chicken lasagna, green beans, garlic bread, Pudding Delight, and Butterfinger Cake. They are always hungry and ready to eat! Some of the Sojourner's had been to QMCC before, so I had met them, but many had not. It's always fun to find out what states the Sojourners are from and ask them questions about themselves. There are a total of 27 people there during this two week span at QMCC.

Each year when I look around at what these volunteers are doing, I am amazed! Almost all of them are retired, but some spend their time off from work and their vacations doing a "Sojourn". Some have even sold their homes and gotten rid of everything. That RV is "Home, Sweet Home". These Christian brothers and sisters spend their time helping others - serving others.
They cook. Some of the ladies had baked 3,000 cookies during their time at QMCC. The cookies are frozen for summer camp sessions this summer!
They clean. Last year an 80-year-old woman was on TOP of a ladder cleaning windows!
They paint. A lady today was painting red "QMCC's" all over a wall! Later she would be painting the whole wall red.
They sew. One year the ladies made 200 aprons for a ladies' retreat event QMCC was hosting later on in the year.
The men build, repair, install, and all sorts of things that I know nothing about, but am thankful they do!

Every spring I go to QMCC to "serve" the Sojourners a meal, but I always come away from the Sojourners feeling that I have been "served". Their service to God and to others is uplifting and encouraging.

Read the words to this song:
"Make me a servant, Lord, make me like you.
For you are a servant, make me one, too.
Make me a servant...do what you must do...
To make me a servant, Lord, make me like you."

Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 4:10-11

I would like to challenge you, as well as myself, to find a way to serve someone today and every day. It's one more way to "Shine Like Stars"!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover