Search This Blog


Saturday, April 11, 2009

GO - It's a BIG Word! Part 2

So, in the last post we looked at the first two reasons "GO" is a big word. Now we'll look at the last two reasons.

3. GO is a big word because it is an open-ended command. Jesus said, "go and tell", but we ask the question, "When do I stop?". We may say, "I'm older now." "I've done my part." "I've taught others about Jesus." "I'm retiring from that job." But, we must realize God needs us for our entire life! You and I are never too old to serve God. You and I are never too old to tell others about Jesus. You and I may be telling others about Jesus from a nursing home bed or from a hospital bed, but we can still share the Good News!

Another question we may ask is, "How do I go?". You and I may make excuses. "I don't know what to say to others." "I don't know how to share the Good News about Jesus." By studying and reading God's Word, we become more and more comfortable with the teachings written there and then become more able to share those teachings with others. However, we do not have to be a Bible scholar to teach others! Just open the Good Book and share straight from the Word.

Another thing we have to realize about the word "go" is that maybe you and I are "going" and "telling", but maybe God wants us to get out of our comfort zone and go a different way. Maybe God can use us in a different way or in a different place. I have felt this way since I began teaching teenage girls. I was used to teaching adult women and had for 5 years. I was used to teaching preschoolers and had for 3 years, plus babies, and school-aged before that. But, I had never taught teens and was a little afraid to, honestly! But, God gave me the courage to teach these girls about Jesus and it's been exciting and gotten me out of my comfort zone. It's helped me, but more importantly they are learning about Jesus!

4. GO is a big word because of what we are asking of others. "Make disciples" is not a command that can be mass-produced in a factory. However, remember that Jesus gave this command in Matthew 28:16-20 and not very long afterwards about 3,000 disciples were 'made' in one day! Acts 2:41 says, "Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day."

God did mass produce, didn't he?!

We must remember that we are talking to real people with real lives. They have real opinions about what they believe. They have real experiences that they have gone through. That is an awesome responsibility and we cannot take that lightly. But, just as the Jesus' original disciples carried out the command and God gave them success, we must also have faith that God will bring about the same success now. We just need to get busy and get to work!

As we work trying to 'make disciples', we are telling them about Jesus and showing them His love and power. We are letting them know what a relationship with Jesus means...what following God's plan means for them - ultimately eternal life in Heaven! But, we also can only teach them about Jesus by showing them that we are living for Him. If we are trying to get someone else to become a Christian, it is implying that we have already given our lives to Him. We are telling them that we are striving to live our lives for Him each and every day. Not just once, not just a few times a year, not even 52 times a year, but every single day of our lives here on Earth.

Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23


So....GO seems like such a big word because it is. It truly is a big word.

Have a Happy Easter, everyone!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover