Search This Blog


Saturday, July 25, 2009

Wide is the Gate

Do you see this gate? This is the new gate my husband, Joe, had made for the west side of our house. (He hired the metal work out, but he did the wooden fence part)Anyway, it's HUGE! We both wanted a gate on that side of the fence because there was only one gate before and it was on the other side of the house. But, I'll tell you, when I walked out and saw this thing, I was shocked! It looked like it belonged out in a cattle corral, not at the side of a house! (Of course, we have goats behind the fence south of the house, but still!)It's hard to see in this picture, but the metal thing goes waaaaayyyyy up high across the whole WIDE gate!

Well, after a few hours when the shock wore off and I felt kinda bad about saying the gate looked strange for a house, I decided it was okay. I sure didn't want to have to pay any more to have the big gate made smaller since we'd just paid to have it put in. Plus, being the decorator I am, my mind began to spin!! "Well, I'll just decorate it", I said to my husband. He said, "That's exactly what the kids said. We can decorate it at Christmas time!" Of course, I won't wait until Christmas. In fact, I already tried to hand a big metal star up there, but just used fishing wire, so it fell right down. But, I'll get one up there soon!

I took a picture of the WIDE GATE the other night during Zachary's birthday party. Joe asked me what I was doing. I said, "Taking a picture of that gate!" I didn't know why I was doing it at the time, just thought it would be neat. Then later, I thought about this scripture: "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it." Matthew 7:13 Hey! "That gate would make a great blog post", I thought!

Out of the blue today Joe said, "You know that picture you took of the gate?" I said, "Yes." He said, "That would make a good post for your blog using "wide is the gate that leads to destruction,"! I replied, "That's what I was thinking, too!"

Of course, we surely don't want any destruction coming from our wide gate! But, the reason Joe had that gate made wide was so that he could get through there easily with yard equipment, a vehicle if needed, and other large loads. But, of course, that is the "easy" way. If it was a small, narrow gate, it would be much more difficult. "But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it," Matthw 7:14

The road to Heaven is, indeed, through a small gate and a narrow road, but that's the road that leads to eternal life. And, that's the path we should all be on (or searching for) and wanting to take!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover