Search This Blog


Friday, July 10, 2009

The Rooster Crowed

There are many happy stories in the Bible, but there are also many sad ones. One of the saddest passages in the Bible is the account of (Simon)Peter denying Jesus. The story can be found in all four of the Gospels - Matthew 26:69-75, Mark 14:66-72, Luke 22:54-62 and John 18:15-18, 25-27. Jesus predicted that Peter would deny Him three times before the rooster crowed, but Peter was confident that he would never deny Christ.

Peter replied, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will." Matthew 26:33
But Peter declared, "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you." Matthew 26:35


The Bible tells us that Satan had asked to sift Peter like wheat, in Luke 22:31. What does it mean to be sifted like wheat? When wheat is sifted, the grain is separated from the chaff. Satan asked to "sift" Peter like wheat to find out if he was all "chaff" - just pretending to be a follower of Christ. God allowed Satan that opportunity to sift Peter. Unfortunately, Peter did fail and some chaff did show up as he denied Christ those three times, but then Peter boldly became what Jesus knew he was capable of becoming.

I wonder...is God allowing Satan to sift me like wheat? If so, what is being left behind - chaff or grain? Am I denying Christ by how I live or by things I say or don't say? Is Jesus as confident in me as He was in Peter - that my faith will not fail?

“But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back…” (Luke 22:32)

Before the rooster crowed...what would have been my response?

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover