Search This Blog


Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Sing and Make Melody in Your Heart"

My daughter has been in the church youth group for a few years now, so most of the time she doesn't sit with the rest of us during worship, but sits with the group. However, she has sat with us during the summer some because many of the youth have been gone for camps and vacations. It's been nice to have her sitting by us to hear her sing. Before she would sing always sing soprano, but now she has also learned to sing the alto part. It's neat hearing her sing the different part and learning how to do so! I sing alto, so maybe she did learn some of that from me...not that she would admit it :).

Today during worship, our oldest son Zachary was singing and I could hear him trying to sing tenor. His dad sings tenor, but was not with us today. (Note #1: My husband works for Tipton Home and part of his job includes speaking about the Home to churches who send money to support the Tipton Home. He also is asked to preach in those congregations many times and also preaches when needed at nearby congregations.) Anyway, Zachary was singing tenor without his dad being there for him to follow! It was so neat hearing his voice and realizing that he had learned that part and was learning to read the music. (Note #2: Our small school has not had much of a music department in many years, except for a small amount in elementary school. This coming year, they've hired someone that is helping in that area for the middle school/high school - yippee!)

Zachary will be a seventh grader and be in the youth group this coming school year. I will miss having him sitting by us all of the time (of course, maybe he still will!). Of course, the youth group sits just across the aisle from us, so I could request that our two oldest sit on the end closest, so we can hear them! (Note #3: Of course, then they might be getting someone else's "place" on the "pew"....and you know what kind of trouble that can cause!! (just kidding!) Do you have "assigned" pews????? We ALWAYS sit in the same place, do you?????)

Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord...
Ephesians 5:19

I will praise the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
Psalm 146:2

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover