Search This Blog


Sunday, July 5, 2009

Get to Work!

Since the beginning of June, I have been putting off some things around here that needed to be done - in fact, many things!! Can you say the word "PROCRASTINATION"!! After decorating for events from mid-March until VBS at the end of May, I have had piles of decorations that were extremely unorganized. Yesterday afternoon I began the GIGANTIC (It seemed much bigger than it really was, I know.) task. This afternoon I continued the task, then tonight after evening worship services - finished the task! Yippee!!!

All of the decoration totes are now organized and in the proper place at a small rented shed in our small town. My husband gave the okay to rent the shed last summer to give me a place for the decoration totes and thankfully he helped me take them to the shed and get them in their proper place tonight. Originally, when we rented the shed I told him I might start renting them out to people for for parties and showers...kind of a on-the-side party rental business. I haven't done that, yet, (some procrastination here, too!)but maybe I'm close to doing that, since it's all in order now and easier to find.

Procrastination is something that gets in the way of doing things we need to do. It can keep us from doing what we should do, especially when it comes to the kingdom of God. God needs us - each of us! If you and I procrastinate on some things, it may only affect us or maybe our families, but if we procrastinate on spiritual matters it not only affects us, but also many others. But, most importantly, our procrastination in our spiritual lives affects our relationship with God.

How can you and I, as Christians, stop procrastinating in our spiritual lives?

1. To borrow Nike's slogan: "Just do it!"
Quit making excuses for whatever it is you are putting off and "just do it"!

2. Set small goals at first.
Maybe you are wanting to be a daily Bible reader, but you put it off day after day. Make up your mind to read for a small amount of time at first - even one minute is better than nothing! Maybe you could read five verses a day or one chapter a day. Many devotional books and daily Bibles are set up to give a daily reading schedule.

3. Don't give up.
Perhaps you have been procrastinating inviting someone to worship and you finally get the courage to "just do it!" and they say no. Don't give up! Be sure to ask them again before too long. Someday they might just say yes.

4. Pray.
Prayer is the most important thing you can do to overcome our desire to procrastinate. God will give you the strength you need to get through whatever it is you are needing or wanting to do. You just need to ask Him.

Okay, so I've stopped procrastinating on the decoration piles and taken care of that problem. Now, I suppose I need to get to the refrigerator tomorrow....it's needing some attention!

He who watches the wind will not sow and he who looks at the clouds will not reap.
Ecclesiastes 11:4

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Oh, my refrigerator is always the last to get cleaned, too!

 
Pin It button on image hover