Search This Blog


Monday, July 13, 2009

My Front Porch

We have lived in a 39-year-old ranch-style house for nine years. Little by little we repair old things and add new things. For the next two weeks during his vacation, my husband is putting up a new privacy fence, board by board - 500 total to do - to replace the rotten one that's been up for no telling how long. A few weeks ago he replaced the rotten iron posts on the front porch with these wooden posts. They aren't fancy, but they look so much better than the rusty broken ones, plus I was a little concerned about the safety with the rotten ones.

I painted a special rocking chair (that I rocked my babies in) and put it on the front porch. Also, three days ago I purchased a small wire table and two chairs for half price to set out on the front porch. Yesterday Tyler (a.k.a. Biscuit) and I ate breakfast at that table. He thought that was really neat! The palm-looking plant I bought last year for $7.00. After we got home from Florida, Lauren and I wanted something that reminded us of palm trees. The two hanging baskets have real-looking, but fake Boston ferns in them (half-price at Hobby Lobby). I don't care that they are fake because they really do look real (hee hee!). I'm tired of spending money on real ones to have them destroyed by the extremely hot south winds (you can read more about this problem in this post).

But the best thing about the front porch? Tonight a friend stopped by unexpectedly. She needed to talk to Joe and I about something and wanted to visit alone. We sat out there and visited for at least an hour. With the rocking chair and two chairs, each of us had a seat. Three days ago there was only the rocking chair.

In our hurried lives, visiting on the front porch isn't as common as it used to be. I've heard stories from my parents and used to hear from my grandparents about the past...how people would stop by all of the time just to visit. In fact, I remember some of that when I was little. But now, it's rare. Unfortunately, we're just too busy.

I am grateful for "My Front Porch" and look forward to more times of visiting with friends who happen to stop by or by enjoying a meal at the little table with my husband or one of our children. Oh, and by the way, if you're ever in Tipton, stop by. I would love to visit with you on the front porch!

Visit Heavenly Homemakers for more Gratituesday!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Your porch is beautiful. I want to come visit and talk with you ;-)! What a wonderful blessing to be there for your friend and how amazing that you had the perfect spot for it all!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

that's neat that you've already used it!

Let'sMakeADifference said...

I also love my 'new' porch. We 'threw' a patio set on a slab of concrete and now it is our favorite room!!

Helene said...

I wish I lived closer. All I have is a front step/landing above 4 steps. No room for anything like this.
Your blog is like the bible study/small group I am missing :-)It's probably my favorite blog stop of the day. What a joy talking with you on your porch would be.

 
Pin It button on image hover