Search This Blog


Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Who's In Charge Of The Thermostat?


Who's in charge of the thermostat in your home? In our home, it's my husband. Actually, he's also in charge of the thermostat at work....on his side of the office, as well as the other side. He likes to be in control of the thermostat wherever he is! He's very hot natured. I'm cold natured. Unfortunately, all four of our children take after him in this regard, so I keep winter clothes close by all year long!

But, I'm not really talking about the temperature of the air in this post. What I mean is, when you walk into a room, or if you join in a conversation, or you're confronted with a difficult situation what happens? How do you react? We all have the ability to choose to be the "thermostat" and control the environment around us, or we can choose to be controlled by the environment. A thermostat adjusts and stabilizes the environment where it is.

My husband often quotes this phrase (I'm not sure of the source) "No one has the power to control your emotions." In other words, no one can "make" you mad. No one can "make" you upset. However, you may allow yourself to be controlled by someone and allow yourself to become mad or upset.

Unfortunately, he hasn't just had to quote this phrase to our children, but occassionally to me....which is why I'm posting this now! Yes, I'm writing this post for myself as a reminder to be a thermostat, but I hope it encourages you, too.

"Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:17-18

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover