Search This Blog


Sunday, May 24, 2009

"IN REMEMBERANCE OF ME"

This morning I began teaching the pre-K and Kindergarten class again, after having taught the 7th & 8th grade girls since January. I was looking forward to teaching them all, but it's especially neat getting to have Tyler in there as I teach this class during the summer months.

I decided to teach them about the Last Supper. Because we partake of the Lord's Supper/Communion every Sunday, the children are very interested in what it is about. I began the lesson by talking about symbols that help us remember things. I showed them a heart. The children said it reminded them of love and Valentine's Day. I showed them a star. It reminded them of shooting stars and the wise men following the star to see Jesus. I showed them a raven. Elijah was our VBS theme last year, so they remembered that the ravens fed Elijah. I asked them what else they remembered about a raven. How someone in a big boat sent a raven out of the window. Of course, I was hinting for someone to answer "Noah", but one little boy blurted out: "NOSEPH!" A cross between Noah and Joseph! It was so cute and we all laughed. I thanked the little boy for making me laugh this morning!

The lesson went well. I lit a candle and we turned off the light and sat on the floor around the low table, perhaps like Jesus and the apostles did. I explained to the children that Jesus and the apostles didn't have electricity. I served the children just like Jesus did at the "Last Supper", with the fruit of the vine (we use grape juice) and unleavened bread. We talked about how Jesus said, "do this in remembrance of me." Luke 22:19b. In 1 Corinthians 12:26, it talks more about the Lord's Supper: "For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes." . This verse says, "for as often". We do it weekly because of this verse in Acts 20:7 "Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread..."

The class seemed to make an impression on the children. It did Tyler. During the communion service this morning, he leaned over and said, "Mom, that's what we learned about!". Yes, we learned about how the Lord's Supper is a memorial of the death of Jesus, just as Jesus himself explained to His apostles during His Last Supper with them. The bread represents His body and the fruit of the vine represents His blood. I hope we always remember the importance of the communion time and always "do this in remembrance of Him."

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover