Search This Blog


Friday, May 8, 2009

ARE YOU A LEADER OR A FOLLOWER?


From the time our children were little bitty, there were two mottos I would quote over and over to them. One was, "Do the right thing 'cause it's the right thing to do!". The other one was, "Be a leader, not a follower." In fact, the first day our youngest started Kindergarten this year, I said to him, "Remember, be a..." and he interruped me saying, "I know, I know, Mom, be a leader not a flollerer!". Yes, that's right!

We have always wanted our children to do what they knew to be right in the eyes of God and to obey us as well, but we've also strived to teach them to not go along with the crowd if it wasn't what was right. And most parents probably want that same thing with their children.

There is a time when it is better to be follower than a leader. Do you know when? Yes, when we become Christians. When we become Christians, we are followers of Jesus. And just like Jesus told His first disciples (disciple means follower), "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19, He wants us to follow Him, too.

Are you a follower of Jesus? Are you a follower of God? Or do you try to be the leader?

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Matthew 16:24

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover