Search This Blog


Monday, March 9, 2009

"You Don't Know About Me, Daddy!"

Our third child, Jacob, was three years old. We had parked to go in to a football game and were all getting unloaded when Jacob said, "Daddy, I need my jacket!" Because all of our children take after their dad as far as body temperature goes, they are extremely hot natured. But also, since it wasn't very cold outside, my husband Joe said "Jacob, you don't need your jacket." Jacob, without hesitation, replied, "You don't know about me, Daddy!"

Hmmm! Joe and I just looked at each other and really didn't know what to say. I turned away because I started laughing and didn't want Jacob to see me. Joe got Jacob his jacket and I could tell that he was having a hard time not laughing about the reply, too! On the way in to the football game, we quietly agreed that Jacob was right! Joe didn't know about him with that particular situation/need of the jacket.


How many times do you and I do this very same thing to others? We feel a certain way about something and we expect everyone else to feel or react in the same way we do. But, like Jacob pointed out, we don't always know how another person feels or what their needs may be. We don't always know about them.

When a friend or a loved one is experiencing pain, troubles, or trials, we should be there for them. Everyone handles things differently, and though we may not fully understand what they are going through, we can be there for them. And, of course, we can and should pray for them.

1 Peter 3:8 says, "Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous."

Other verses to think about:

Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another. Romans 12:10

Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Romans 12:15

Sometimes the honesty of children can teach us an important lesson! Thank you, Jacob, for teaching us to be more compassionate towards others.

3 comments:

Joy said...

Thanks for the visit to my blog, even if it was unintentional. ;) The more of us who desire to shine like stars, the better, right?

Have a blessed day!

Brandi Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandi Sue said...

This is oh so true!!! I wish more people thought about this! Thanks for the help with the flowers by the way! I had no clue that was an option! I stayed up late researching it last night (couldn't sleep haha) and I feel so much better about the flowers now since I know that option is there! The reviews were really good as well! Now I just have to decide if I think I am creative enough to do them myself haha. Anyway, thanks for all your advice so far!! :)

 
Pin It button on image hover