Search This Blog


Sunday, March 15, 2009

JOY!

What do you think about when you hear the word joy? Happiness? A feeling of elation? The song of Jesus' birth, "Joy To The World"?

I think of the song, "J-O-Y! J-O-Y! Surely it must mean: Jesus first, yourself last, and others in between."? We used to sing that song in Bible classes as a child, and I've used that song in many kid's classes I've taught. You may have, too.

Using the song above, this little word can teach us a great big lesson. Too many times we want to say: "You/Me first" and have the other two letters follow: Others then Jesus or Jesus then others. When you spell out YOJ or YJO, it doesn't spell anything!! My kindergartner, Tyler, is really into sounding out words right now, but even though you might can sound it out, it will not make sense, will it? It's what the Kindergarten and reading teacher would call "nonsense words".

It's the same way in our lives. Putting ourselves first and others and Jesus behind will NEVER make sense. Oh, you can do it and you might get through life seemingly okay, but, you will not have joy...true JOY that comes from serving others and Jesus - just as God has written about in His Word.

Scriptures to ponder:

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Philippians 2:3

Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. Deuteronomy 6:5

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. Psalm 28:7


I pray you have a blessed week!

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I love the application of trying to spell it other ways and not making sense!

 
Pin It button on image hover