Search This Blog


Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I Like Cheesecake!


The true meaning of love, as defined in the Bible, has been corrupted in the common usage of our English language and society. The English language only has one word for love. For example I can say, "I love my husband" and use the same word to say, "I love cheesecake" or "I love my kids" and so forth. Obviously I don’t love cheesecake, I like it. (I know what you're thinking: How can she say that?? "I DO LOVE CHOCOLATE!" I DO LOVE COFFEE!", etc.)

Most often, love is confused with infatuation - that elated, "high" feeling we get when we "fall in love." This kind of "love" is something that lasts typically less than a year, and unless replaced by true love, results in broken relationships. Love in the world is also related to a sexual relationship - only the physical part of a relationship. Love can be mistaken for indulgence. For example, some parents, grandparents, spouses believe that they are showing their children, grandchildren, or spouses true love by the things they give them. But none of these examples are God’s view of love.

The Greek language has five different words for love, of which the New Testament uses two: agape and phileo. Agape love is Christian love and is illustrated in this verse, "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13. Phileo love is defined as brotherly love. In John 21:15-16, Jesus asked Peter if he loved Him with the agape type of love and Peter responded that he had the normal human phileo type of love for Him. Eventually Peter did come to love Christ with agape love.

So, with which kind of love to you love Jesus? With which kind of love to you love others?

Here are some ways to show agape love to others:When we are patient with others instead of lashing out at them, we are showing God’s agape love.
When we choose to be kind when we are upset about the way someone has treated us, we are showing God’s agape love.
When we are genuinely happy about someone else’s success and not wish that the success was ours, we are showing God’s agape love.
When we are willing to humble ourselves in order to lift someone else, we are showing God’s agape love.
When we are accused of doing something wrong and we don’t retaliate with the words we say, we are showing God’s agape love.

Can you think of some other ways to show agape love?


Love is an action. It is something we do. It should mean something when we say it. God commands us to love others and even though it may seem hard, we can learn to love with an agape-type love.

SCRIPTURES TO PONDER:
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. John 15:12

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have love you, so you must love one another. John 13:34-35

Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellow man has fulfilled the law. Romans 13:8


So, I will say I "like" cheesecake, but I'll keep the word "love" for something or someone who can love me back!

What do you think?

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover