Search This Blog


Thursday, March 19, 2009

F.R.O.G.


I like acrostics. I think they are a great learning tool for children and for adults, as well. One of my favorite ones is F.R.O.G. It stands for "FULLY RELY ON GOD!". My children learned a little song at the Sunset congregation in Lubbock, Texas. It goes like this:

Fully Rely On God! (clap, clap).
Fully Rely On God! (clap, clap).
Always! (clap, clap). Totally! (clap, clap).
Fully Rely On God! (clap, clap).

Do you know the story of the frog and the pot of hot water? When a frog was dropped into a pot filled with boiling water, it jumped right out. To jump out was the natural response of the frog when it felt the temperature of the boiling water. But when the frog was put in to a pot of cold water and the flame was slowly turned up, the frog didn't jump out. It accomodated to the change in temperature and didn't notice that it was killing him. He slowly boiled to death.

This story reminds us of how sin can come into our lives. Let's use movies as an example. If we went to an R-rated movie for the first time or watched one on TV, it would most likely offend us because of it's content. Maybe we would walk out of the movie or turn off the TV at home or just change the channel. Like the frog in the boiling pot, the content of the movie would seem so extremely uncomfortable, we would want out immediately!

But, let's suppose that we just gradually begin watching movies at home or in the theater that have mildly suggestive content. Later on we begin watching movies that contain a moderate amount of this kind of thing. We still notice it's content, but it doesn't seem too bad and we reason, "There isn't too much questionable content. Besides, what else am I going to watch? It won't hurt at all." A while afterwards we begin going to R-rated movies and, even though we know they have some questionable content in them, it doesn't seem that bad anymore. Our minds (and our hearts) have become desensitized to what we are seeing and hearing.

Just like the frog, if we get used to unbearable circumstances or difficult situations and don't jump out immediately, we may find ourselves desensitized to the change in our surroundings. We begin to get used to what is going on around us and it doesn't seem quite as harmful anymore. It actually even begins feeling comfortable. If we "FULLY RELY ON GOD" we will quickly jump out of sin when being tempted, not gradually get used to those temptations. Satan will use any way he can to pull you away from God. He doesn't want you to rely on God at all.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9


Thank you, God, for giving me the faith to Fully Rely On You every day!
In Jesus' Name,
Amen.

3 comments:

www.kerryathome-riversofjoy.blogspot.com said...

Hi Lori, My name is Kerry, I live in Middelburg Mpumalang South Africa. Love you posting on FROG. My husband and I were commenting on exactly the same thing last night on the way home from Joburg. We were speaking of Family and what a dangerous place it is to be in when you have everything in life to keep you happy to a point where you forget God and dont seem to need or rely on him.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Did you know that their is a frogville Oklahoma? Yes I love the frog acoustic, i often remind people of it :)

Lori said...

Kerry - I don't remember ready your comment back in July for some reason so I guess that's why I didn't respond. Thank you for stopping by and your comments are so true!

Anonymous - No! I had no idea! That's so neat and I looked it up to see where it was in Oklahoma. I can't wait to tell my children :) Thanks for stopping by.

 
Pin It button on image hover