Search This Blog


Monday, November 19, 2012

The Race Set Before You

Last night my family (excluding me....I'm the photographer, not a runner) ran in a race with several others from our church family. Typically this race is held on a Saturday night.  We were all disappointed that it was changed to a Sunday night, but quickly realized that many wanted to run, so we got together and had an afternoon devotional before heading to the race.  I always think it is a good idea to show children (and adults, but especially children) that you don't have to be in a certain building to worship God.  We can worship ANYWHERE!  Isn't that a great thing?!?

His devotional had to do with the race that is set before us, as Christians. 

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.
1 Corinthians 9:24-25
I thought I got a picture of my husband with the kids, but I guess not!  My kiddos did very well in their races!  Two ran the 1 mile and placed 1st in their age groups.  Two ran the 5K and one finished 3rd in his age group.  The other one didn't finish the race. He's been having knee trouble and he didn't want to mess up anything for his basketball game Monday night!   But, all is well because he won a door prize!! 

My husband did the 5K as well.  He figured out that if he runs long enough, he'll eventually win the "oldest runner" award! :)

You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you.
Galatians 5:7-8
My husband's sister and our brother-in-law serve as houseparents at Tipton Home (a children's home).  These are their sweet little girls.  They've gotten them active and interested in running!  One of them placed 3rd in her age division.  Another girl won a door prize!

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.
2 Timothy 4:7-8
This is one of my favorite pictures from last night.  It's my sister-in-law running across the finish line holding hands with one of her little ones.  How sweet!  And, my sister-in-law placed 3rd in her age division, as well!

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:1-3
(Grinch giving hugs...:)

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

NiCe! Cool of Ted and De, too!

 
Pin It button on image hover