Search This Blog


Friday, November 16, 2012

MARY POPPINS DIDN'T COME

For the past five days I've been trying to get my Christmas decorations up.  I realize five days sounds like plenty of time to get it all up, but the problem is that those five days just ended up being parts of five days - and sometimes small parts of five days.  And it also could be that I have boo-coos of Christmas decorations.  Yes, that is probably a big part of the problem.

So last night I went to bed thinking about how neat it would be if Mary Poppins showed up and finished my decorating for me.  I awoke this morning knowing everything would be done and in place - just like I wanted it.  But you know what?  She didn't come!  What do you think about that?!  I know.  I was disappointed, too.

Of course I knew Mary Poppins wouldn't come and just snap her fingers or wave her hand and get everything 'spit spot'.  I know I'll have to get it into shape myself.  But I can dream, can't I? :)

Sometimes we treat God like He is a Mary Poppins type of 'character'.  We ask for this or that....hope and wish for this and that.....but are disappointed when He doesn't do the quick fix we want Him to do. But God may want us to pray about something diligently before He grants the request.  Maybe He wants us to rely on Him and His power and strength, instead of thinking about Him as just being some fairy-tale character, or a genie in a bottle who wants to grant all of our wishes.  Or maybe He is saying no....or wait.

The Bible tells us God is real.  When we look around at our world - it's beauty everywhere - it is easy for most of us to see that He is real.  Most of us acknowledge His awesome power and His magnificent creation as being made solely by Him and not some strange explosion.  But though we know He is real, sometimes our shallow faith doesn't show to the world that we believe He is real.  When we treat Him like Mary Poppins, we're not showing the world that we believe He is real.  True faith will not waver when He doesn't grant requests overnight.  True faith will not give up when God says no. True faith doesn't believe in a Mary Poppins-type of God.

No, Mary Poppins didn't show up last night.  It's doubtful she will tonight either...or the next night....or the next.  Someone is going to have to get to work.  Someone is going to have to find the time to finish the Christmas decorating.  I think that someone is me!

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his powerthat is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Ephesians 3:20-21

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

and sometimes he just surprises us! We never know if we never ask...

 
Pin It button on image hover