Search This Blog


Monday, November 5, 2012

The Chronicles of Biscuit - Take a Deep Breath!

Stories about our youngest son, Tyler, whose nickname is Biscuit.

Last Wednesday, we were in a hurry getting ready for our 5:30 p.m. devotional, cookout, and "Trunk or Treat" night.  One of my boys had a dentist appointment right after school, so he and I rushed over there for that, getting home just in time to quickly decorate the vehicle and pick up the others do go to worship. As we rushed and rushed, the youngest and I hopped into the car to head to worship and get the car ready.  He sensed my flustered attitude, I'm sure, by my tone of voice and my actions.  He said, "Mom, I think we just all need to take a deep breath!".  I smiled and said, "Yes, Biscuit, I think you're right!".

Sometimes a little child's simple words can make you think.  He's nine years old, so he was looking forward to dressing up after worship and having fun at the festivities for the night and here I was, running around like a chicken with its head cut off!!  A crazed chicken, I'm sure!

Oh, I don't want to be a crazed chicken with no head!  Do you?  Most of the time I stay pretty calm and cool, but occasionally, that calm and cool becomes crazed.  What should I do?  Take a deep breath?  Yes, that can certainly help, and it does.  But ultimately, I must do more than just take a breath deep.  I must come to grips with the fact that much that happens is out of my control.  I must relinquish all control to God.  It is He that can control what I can't - and all of what I think I can!  He can direct me in my steps when I get crazed.  He can guide me in the direction that I really need to go.

This week is one of my busiest weeks of the year.  When I woke up this morning, I could feel a sense of urgency to get everything done - TODAY.  But I can't get it all done today.  I have to take deep breaths.  I have to pray.  I have to put my trust in God that it will all get done.  It always does.  It always works out.

So, today I'll let God work out the details.  I'll let Him show me what is MOST important just for today.  And tomorrow I'll do the same thing.  Hopefully if you see a crazed, headless chicken out and about, it's not me.  It's someone else who needs to take a deep breath and who needs to let God direct their path for the day.

Thank you, God, for your willingness to take over the crazy days of life. Help each of us to give you those days and, in fact, help us to give you each of our days.


Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him,  and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover