Search This Blog


Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Doin' Homework

Do you like doing homework?  I didn't growing up and honestly, I don't like it now with my own children.  That being said, I surely understand a "little bit" of homework, such as math flash cards, spelling words, and reading.  I even understand students having to do special at-home projects from time to time. 

My reasoning about homework is this: I don't like a lot of homework because my children are away from home and at school for seven hours a day - even more sometimes with sports and other school-related activities.  I want time with my children after school.  I want them to be able to have fun and be kids.  I want them to play.  I want my husband to have time with our children after he gets home from work.  I want us to have time all together as a family.

I'm selfish with family time because it's rare in our fast-paced and busy world.  But, there is some homework that's very important.  It's more needed than any school homework.  It's more important than any school work.  In fact, it's more important than anything else at all.  Really.  What do you think it is?  This little story will show you:

Tonight during our Wednesday evening Bible study time, our preacher told a story.  He has recently become a chaplain with the hospice program and went to visit an elderly lady today.  She was reading something when he walked in.  He asked her, "What are you doing?"  She answered, "Oh, just doin' my homework."  She was reading her Bible!  Isn't that a great response?  Isn't that a great attitude?  This little lady knows what's important.  She knows what many in this life will never know - that the Bible and what it offers is more important than anything else.  She knows doin' her homework is the most important thing.

It makes me wonder:
Am I doin' my homework?  Am I reading/studying my Bible regularly?
Am I as concerned about my children reading/hearing God's Word as I am that they get their school homework done?
Is academic success more important to me (for myself or my children/grandchildren) than spiritual success - meaning knowledge of God, Jesus, and the Bible/salvation?
Do I realize that Bible reading/learning more about God and Jesus/staying close to Him is the most important thing?

Let's do our homework!

And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Mark 8:36

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover