Search This Blog


Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

Do you ever make excuses?  Do you make excuses to God?  I've been studying about Moses when God speaks to him from the burning bush.  (Exodus 3:1-4:17) God tells Moses that He wants him to go to Pharoah and ask him to let the Israelite people leave Egypt.  Think about this:  God is speaking to Moses.  He is speaking to him from a bush that is burning, but not burning up.  Then, He tells Moses what He wants him to do, and what happens?  Moses makes excuses of why he can't do what God asked him to do!

Let's look at what Moses says:
Excuse #1:  "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" Exodus 3:11

Excuse #2:  Moses answered, "What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, 'The LORD did not appear to you'?" Exodus 4:1

Excuse #3:  Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." Exodus 4:10

Final plea:  But Moses said, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it." Exodus 4:13

Ask yourself these questions:
What is God wanting me to do that I don't want to do?
Am I making excuses that keep me from doing what I need to do?
Am I allowing God to use me for His purposes?
Am I too afraid to get out of my comfort zone to do what God wants me to do?

God spoke directly to Moses and told him exactly what He needed/wanted him to do, but Moses didn't just say "Yes!" like it seems to us he would have.  But, many times, we're just like Moses.  We have God speaking to us through His Word.  He tells us what He wants us to do and how he wants us to live.  However, sometimes, by what we say, how we live, and by the choices we make...we are saying "NO!" to God...just like Moses did.

God told Moses something very important in Exodus 3:12.  God said to Moses, "I will be with you."  God will also be with us.  Whatever He wants us to do....whatever He needs us to do....He will not leave us.  He will be right there beside us.  We just have to be willing to "Go".

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover