Search This Blog


Thursday, September 3, 2009

A.T.T.I.T.U.D.E.

Of all the topics I've posted about since beginning this blog, ATTITUDE is one of main topics.  I think I know why.  It's one of the things I struggle with the most.  I would like to be able to say that I always have a Christ-like attitude, but that would be untrue.  So, I'll admit that I don't, but also admit that it's something I pray about...for God to help my attitude become more like His Son's. 

I saw a great post on ATTITUDES today that I would like to share with you.  Visit Trey Morgan's site, here, to see that post/cartoon. While you may chuckle at the cartoon, the issue isn't funny at all.  Although my attitude at times isn't Christ-like as it should be,  I do pray that my attitude has never been described by anyone as is portrayed in this cartoon. Christians influence others a lot with the attitudes they exhibit and, unfortunately, not all of those influences are for good.

Here's an A.T.T.I.T.U.D.E. acrostic to help you and I have the same attitude as our Savior, Jesus Christ:

A - Acknowledge wrong attitudes.
We must be able to admit when we have a bad attitude, or a "jerky" attitude as portrayed in the cartoon mentioned above.
Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? 2 Corinthians 13:5

T - Take control of self.
After acknowledging the wrong attitude, we must learn to have self-control to conquer the wrong attitude...eventually leading to a better attitude. Self-control is for all ages...young, old, and in-between!
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:22-24

T - Thank God for His Spirit.
Self-control is one of the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). As Christians, the Holy Spirit lives within us and will help us develop that fruit (and others)...if we allow Him to.
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Ephesians 4:29-31

I - Impress His Word upon your heart.
Meditating on God's Word is a sure-fire remedy for wrong attitudes!
Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. Psalm 119:97

T - Take Jesus' attitude.
We must learn to rid our lives of the wrong attitude, but replace it with the right type of attitude. Jesus is the best example of what our attitude should be.
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus. Philippians 2:5

U - Unite with others.
Unity should be a number one goal in our lives, whether in the workplace, in personal relationships, as a family, or in the church. Unity doesn't mean you don't stand up for God and His Word and against sin, but it does mean that you work towards peace and not towards strife (or getting your own way.)
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. Ephesians 4:2-6

D - "Do Unto Others".

The "Golden Rule" shouldn't end in preschool, but should be a life-long scripture/motto in our lives. Treat others as Jesus would have...with love.
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you...Matthew 7:12

E - Examine your attitude regularly.
Look at yourself daily. Examine your attitude, your motives, your desires. Do they mimic the attitudes, motives, and desires of Christ? What would God say about your attitude? If not, you've got some "attitude adjusting" to do!
Test me, O LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind. Psalm 26:2

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover