Search This Blog


Monday, November 30, 2009

The Chronicles of Biscuit - 'Fessin Up!

During the whole month of November, many of my posts focused on giving as I participated in "The 30-Day Giving Challenge".  Giving of our money, our resources and our time is just one way we can serve God by serving others.  Although it's now December, let's not let that spirit of giving go away.  Continue looking for ways to help others by giving of yourself and your means.

The Chronicles of Biscuit:
On Thanksgiving Day, "Biscuit", our youngest child, was outside playing with his cousins at their grandparent's house.  Biscuit came in and said to me, "I accidently threw a rock and it hit a window and broke it."  First of all, I immediately explained to Biscuit that there was no way he "accidently" threw the rock.  I asked him what window and he said on a car.  Our minivan was outside, but so were about 10 other cars.  All I could think of was that one of our relatives' car windows was broken and they would be driving home in a few days.  All the way out to see the damage, I was thinking "What am I going to see when I get there?".

Thankfully the broken window was on our minivan and not one of our relatives' vehicles.  The crack was/is way up top near the roof of the van on the driver's side.  There were already two small places in the windshield from a truck throwing rocks while going down the road - so it was needing to be fixed anyway.  Of course now it REALLY needs to be fixed.

Again, I lectured Biscuit on the fact that he could not have "accidently" thrown the rock, but talked to him about the fact that it could have been worse.  The rock could have hit someone or it could have hit someone else's car.  I did thank Biscuit for coming straight to me and telling me. As his dad would say, he " 'Fessed up" to his wrong-doing. 

His dad was gone to feed the farm animals at the time, but when he got back I had Biscuit tell him the story.  Of course, Joe, my husband, picked up on the "accidently" throwing the rock thing too, so Biscuit got a repeated warning about that part.  He also talked to him about the actual problem of the broken window.  Later on that night, Biscuit and Joe came home from Joe's parents.  The rest of us stayed later playing games with the rest of the family.  Joe said Biscuit went to his room and got $5.00 out of his piggy bank.  Biscuit gave his daddy that $5.00 and told him that it was to help pay for the new windshield!

When my husband told me that story, it made me so proud of Biscuit.  Since he's the youngest it's sometimes hard to notice the little things he is learning.  With the first child everything is noticed, but it seems like (to me anyway), life is so busy that sometimes those little things get neglected with the younger ones.  But when you think about it, Biscuit's acknowledgement of wrong-doing isn't a "little thing".  His confession is a BIG thing!  Many people in the world never learn to confess to wrong doing - to mankind, to relatives, to God.  Knowing and realizing that we have done something wrong is the first step towards becoming a Christian.  If we don't recognize the sin in our lives and acknowledge that it separates us from God, why would we have the need for Jesus?

Biscuit shouldn't have thrown the rock, of course, but it was neat to see that he realized his mistake enough to come straight to me and tell me, and that he also realized that it was going to cost us money to get it fixed and he wanted to help. 

This morning Biscuit got in trouble for saying something ugly to his brother.  He got a spanking.  Later on, before he left for school, Biscuit came and gave me a hug and said, "Mom, I'm sorry for the way I acted this morning.  I shouldn't have done that." Biscuit  "'Fessed Up" again!

I think Biscuit is growing up.  I am grateful for Biscuit and his tender heart.  I am especially grateful he " 'Fessed Up" in these two examples.

He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.
Proverbs 28:13

For more GRATITUESDAY, go to Heavenly Homemakers.

2 comments:

Audra Michelle said...

Thank you for your post! I love seeing how God softens the hearts of children! I have a 14 month old and am pregnant with our second. I know I'll have plenty of time to work through sin issues with my little ones!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Oh, that brought tears to my eyes...it's no fun, but if we never experience disappointment, punishment, etc. we don't learn and grow mature. Good for him!

 
Pin It button on image hover