Search This Blog


Friday, November 20, 2009

Road Maps

Tomorrow our high school football team is travelling to Timberlake to play in the second round of the playoffs. The drive is about three hours north of here. My husband is working tomorrow afternoon, so I volunteered to take our kids myself. The two oldest really want to go and right now the youngest one does, too.  One of the middle sons, Jacob, wants to stay home. He can go to work with his dad until he gets off then they will have an evening at home together.

I've never been to Timberlake. In fact, I've only been up around that area of Oklahoma once or twice. I suppose I should look at a map to see where I'm going or seach online at a map website. Maybe I will....tomorrow.

You know how it's said that men don't like to ask for directions? I'm actually more that way than my husband is!  Strange, I know.  I'm fairly independent and can sometimes be stubborn about wanting to find my own way. Not always good qualities to have, I know.  But,I like the adventure of finding my way to somewhere new.  Of course, I also want to get to the game on time and actually to get to the right place, so I will look at a map before we go (my kiddos will insist on it :)!!)

What should we do if you or I want to know about becoming a Christian? Where do we search to find the answers? Do we ask for directions? Yes, we can. But how do we know if the directions are right? What if we're given the wrong advice and information? Do we look it up on the internet? Sure, there are lots of religious websites that will tell us what we must do, but are they all true and right? Some are, but some are not.  So, how do we know? How do we get directions for the Christian life?

There's only one thing we really must do if we want to know more about becoming a Christian or if we want to know how to live a Christian life.  We should look at the best map EVER.  Just as a road map leads us or takes us to a certain destination, God's Word - the Bible leads us and takes us to a certain destination, too.  And, of course, that destination ultimately leads to Eternal Life in Heaven with God, our Heavenly Father!

The Bible does more than tell us stories about people in the past. It does more than tell us about how God made the world. The Bible tells us how to become a Christian and also tells us how to live as Christians.

"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."
Romans 15:4

Trying to find my way to Timberlake tomorrow may be an adventure.  I'll enjoy the challenge.  Trying to find our own way in spiritual matters makes no sense at all.  Why?  Because God has given us a perfect road map to follow. 

"Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." - Psalm 119:105

Oh, yes, and you know how having a GPS is all the rage these days?  We have one we use from time to time.  (We call her "Betsy".  We don't always agree with "Betsy".  She's taken us on some strange roads!) God has given us a perfect GPS that won't take you down a strange road (one that's supposed to be the quickest route but ends up being the longest.)  Jesus is our perfect guide and example.  We must follow Him and He will lead us to the Father.

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
John 14:5

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover