Search This Blog


Friday, November 27, 2009

'Twas the Day After Thanksgiving

Well, Thanksgiving 2009 is officially over. Black Friday is on many people's minds now. In fact, many will be up in a few hours to try and get those special bargains - fighting the crowds and standing in lines.

I remember those days myself - waking up early trying to get the best deal on a certain toy one of my children wanted. Thankfully, those days of the very early morning shopping are gone, and, actually, I can find many of those special bargains online....right in the comfort of my own home (and in my pj's :).  It's a lot more fun and a lot less stressful at this point in my life.  I do like the hustle and bustle of the shopping day tomorrow - as long as I'm not trying to get any certain thing, but just going for fun.

Our Friday after Thanksgiving tradition is going to the movies with my husband's side of the family. My immediate family only sees two or three movies a year at an actual theater, so it's always exciting for our children, but to get to go with their aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents is extra-special. This time we'll be seeing "A Christmas Carol" and there will be around 28 of us going. Some of us do a little shopping before or afterwards, too, and then after the movie, it's back to "Grammy and Gramp's" house for leftovers and games.

All of the month leading up to Thanksgiving, we all think and talk about all of the things we're thankful for, don't we?  But, just because Thanksgiving is over, doesn't mean we should forget to tell God, "Thank You".  We should be thankful for all of the wonderful blessing we have (physical blessing and spiritual blessings) every day.  Everything we have is because of God and that should be in our minds and hearts always.

The first part of Jeremiah 18:15 says, "Yet my people have forgotten me", and goes on to tell example of what they were doing, which was worshipping false gods (idols).  Now that Christmas will be here soon, and our focus will be on getting gifts for friends and family,  It's easy to get caught up in all of that stuff and forget or neglect our spiritual lives and maybe even forget God.  We don't want God to say about us what he said about the people then: "My people have forgotten me".  Let's don't forget God, but continue to be thankful and remember how He has blessed us in so many ways.

Now, if you'll excuse me....I've got a "Black Friday" special to search for and it's officially "Black Friday". And, yippee, there are no lines here at my computer and, yes, I am in my pj's.  What a way to shop!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover