Search This Blog


Friday, November 13, 2009

Volunteering

Ten years ago our oldest child started Kindergarten.  She didn't go to preschool, so that was our first experience with school.  I remember attending the Open House in the fall and thinking, "I want to do something for the school."  I wanted to do something that would bring something special to the school - kind of the "extras" or the "fun" things.


I talked to the Superintendent and Principal and asked them if I could start a PTO (Parent-Teacher Organization).  They agreed that I could.  That first year we had quite a few people sign up to be PTO members.  We elected officers and had fundraisers, and made big plans for the future.


During the next few years the PTO painted the playground equipment, purchase a lighted sign for the front of the school building, and helped with school field trips.  We planned and payed for parties during the year and collected Campbell's Soup Labels and Box Tops for Education.


Each year many of the same parents signed up.  Interest in PTO grew, as did the number of participants at school events where helpers were needed.  Since that time, the numbers have gone up and down, but for the most part it has grown each year.. 


I always thought I would do PTO (as far as being "in charge") for 10 years, but just today it hit me that it has been 10 years this year.  Am I ready to quit?  No.  In fact, I really can't believe it's been that long.  Right now I still have two children in elementary, so I want to be there helping them and involved with their classes.


Tonight was our annual PTO Fall Festival.  It is a fun evening full of games, food, and fun.  We have always had people volunteer to help, but this year we had the biggest number of participation and help that we've ever had.  It was great!  We were all cleaned up and home by 9:00 tonight - just because so many people volunteered their time to help.


Volunteering is a great way to give during "The 30-Day Giving Challenge".  Take the time to volunteer at your child or grandchild's school.  Ask your school how you can help them.  For our school (this week, anyway), this week is the book fair.  Maybe you could volunteer to help them during that week.  Tonight the PTO had a concessions stand.  Maybe your school has a function planned and you could volunteer to help serve in that way.  Whatever you find to do, remember that in serving others you are really serving Christ. 


Find a way to volunteer today and.....Happy Giving to you :).


“Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?’ Then I said, ‘Here am I! Send me’.
Isaiah 6:8

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

It is nice to be able to reflect on this and all the good things that have come about! God bless you and may you continue in his service for many years!

 
Pin It button on image hover