Search This Blog


Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Right Here, Right Now

*Printed with permission.  

Though skeptical of his teenage son's new found determination to build bulging muscles, one father followed his teenager to the store's weight-lifting department, where they admired a set of weights.

 "Please, Dad," pleaded the teen, "I promise I'll use them every day."

 "I don't know, Michael.  It's really a commitment on your part," the father said.

 "Please, Dad?"

 "They're not cheap either," the father said.

 "I'll use 'em, Dad, I promise. You'll see."

Finally won over, the father paid for the equipment and headed for the door. After a few steps, he heard his son behind him say, "What! You mean I have to carry them to the car?"


That story reminds me somewhat of my commitment to follow Christ.  Like Peter, who said, "Even if everyone else abandons you, I never will...Even if I have to die with you..." (Matthew 26:33,35, GOD'S WORD), I am committed to serving God in every big way imaginable.  I am prepared to die as a martyr if the situation arises.  I am prepared to serve as a missionary in foreign fields when my life situation allows me to.  I am prepared to offer large sums of money to the cause of Christ whenever I "strike it rich."


However, I am sometimes hesitant to serve God in small ways right here, right now.  I'm hesitant to use the $5.00 in my pocket to help someone in my presence who is in need.  I'm hesitant to give up the time it takes to watch one TV show to spend some quiet time with God.  I'm hesitant to show grace and forgiveness to someone who has hurt me deeply. I'm hesitant to speak up and talk about Jesus for fear of what someone might think.  I'm insistent on getting my way and always being right, and so I'm hesitant to say, "I'm sorry."

Father, please forgive me.  I have such grand dreams of ways I can serve you, and I tend to overlook the many ways I can serve you right here, right now.  Help me in my resolve to be committed to you in all ways, both small and great.  In Jesus' name, amen.

"He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much." (Luke 16:10)

Have a great day!

Alan Smith
Helen Street Church of Christ
Fayetteville, North Carolina

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover