Search This Blog


Friday, September 21, 2012

What's Your Excuse?

Tuesday night was a Ladies' Night Out at a congregation about thirty minutes away. I had a sign-up sheet on a bulletin board at the church building for ladies to sign if they wanted to go, and I would be their driver.  I ended up having five ladies with me.

All six of us enjoyed the evening listening to a great speaker talk about living a life patterned after Christ.  We ate a delicious meal of baked potatoes and lots of wonderful salads, played a "getting to know you" game, and had lots of laughs about various things.  As I dropped off the ladies when we got back to town, I dropped off one sweet sister and helped her walk to her door.  What she said amazed me.  She said, "Still live by myself at 98 years old!"  I commented how neat that was, not fully certain she was right about her age!

When I got back in the van, I only had one more lady with me.  I asked her if that other lady was really 98.  She was!  So then I asked about the ages of the other ladies who had gone with us.  She, herself, was 86, there was another 86 year old, an 88 year old, a 76 year old and then that 98 year old.  I guess it's true that when you're getting older yourself, you don't realize how old people are.....because it's getting closer and closer day by day!!

After driving to my own house, I thought about who had been my company for that evening.  All of them more than 30-50 years older than me.  Wow!  They are amazing!  Then I thought about how many younger ladies (and men) would say they couldn't do certain things or how they couldn't go certain places.  Maybe they're too tired at night.  Maybe they don't get out at night.  Maybe they're afraid of something.  Maybe they're too busy.

Would it surprise you to know that three of these ladies get up and go to swimming class by 8:00 a.m. two mornings a week at that town that's 30 minutes away?  Would it surprise you to know that the 88 year old still sells Avon?  Would it surprise you to know that the two whose husbands are still alive help others go to doctors' appointments and that one of the couples makes weekly visits to the nursing homes?  I could go on and on with what these Christian sisters do as they work and serve the Lord and others!

Why is that?  Why is it that these ladies - regardless of age - haven't quit!  They have never thought that their work and service to the Lord was over.  They won't quit until they die!  As the song says, "We'll Work 'til Jesus Comes".  They will! They ARE!

So, as you think about your life.....your busyness......your tiredness.......your "me" time........Think about these ladies as an example.  I truly believe they're still going because they haven't quit.  Now, of course, a lot haven't quit that weren't able to attend Tuesday night, I know.  It's impossible to do everything.  But, do something.  Don't give up.  Don't quit.  Don't think there is nothing you can do.

God can use you.  He will use you.  You just have to be willing to let Him!

Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the LORD. 
Leviticus 19:32


Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life. 
Proverbs 16:31

The glory of young men is their strength, gray hair the splendor of the old. 
Proverbs 20:29

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I LOVE THIS! Probably because it reminds me of my Grandma and always ready to go somewhere!

 
Pin It button on image hover