Search This Blog


Wednesday, February 1, 2012

How Do I Love Thee?

Today is February 1st.  Hard to believe that the first month of this new year has already come and gone, isn't it?

As we look forward to this second month of the year, much of the focus will be on love.  Valentine's Day is February 14th, and stores are already stocked up on things that will help you show your loved ones just how much you love them.  Although, I'm sure you realize that no "thing" will do or take the place of what your "words and actions" should be doing!

The poem, "How Do I Love Thee?" came to mind this morning.  Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these famous words, sure to be found in some of the Valentine messages from the past.  How interesting that when I went to BibleGateway.com this morning that this was their verse for the day:

“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.”
Deuteronomy 6:4-5

These two phrases - one by Ms. Browning and the other penned by Moses and inspired by God - can go together:  How do I love thee, God?

1.  With all of my heart.
2.  With all of my soul.
3.  With all of my strength.

Can you and I answer that question truthfully with those three answers?  That is what God wants from us, doesn't He?  He wants all of our love and devotion.

At the end of Ms. Brownings poem is this verse:  "I shall but love thee better after death." How we live our lives now, and how we choose to love God now matters.  At the end of life - in eternity - I want to be able to say to God, "I love thee better after death."  I pray that you do, too.

To read more about loving the Lord, read the whole chapter of Deuteronomy 6.



No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover