Search This Blog


Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What Kind of Christian Are You??

Recently I heard a preacher ask this question:  "What kind of Christian are you?"  He went on to explain that there are two kinds:  Soul winners and back sliders.  Hmmmmmm.......made me think.  I've always heard the term "back sliders" meaning those who don't attend worship, but perhaps that's just the way we have termed it and not the way God would term it.

The question made me think about my own life.  Which one am I?

What about you?  Do you think those are the only two types of Christians?  Think about it and let me know.

Here are my thoughts: I can be a good, moral person.  I can invite others to worship.  I can feed the hungry, cloth the needy, and visit the sick.  I can do all of those things, but if I never open my mouth or maybe type a post on this blog and tell someone about Jesus, then I am not fulfilling God's mission.  I am not living out the Great Commission as Jesus told his followers to do before He ascended to Heaven.

Then Jesus came to them (Note: the disciples) and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Matthew 28:18-20

As a Christian, I am a Christ-follower...a disciple of Jesus.  This commission was intended for me, just as it was the disciples of long ago.  Jesus' message is just the same:  

#1:  Go and make disciples (How?? By teaching and telling others about Him)
#2:  Teach them about baptism in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (Why is it important?  What does it do?)
#3:  Teach them to obey everything Jesus commanded.  (What are some commandments of Jesus???)

If I'm not doing what Jesus asked His followers to do, I'm a back slider.  I don't like that term, do you?  I don't want to be a back-sliding Christian.  I pray that you don't, either.  Go and tell someone today!

2 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I think I used to think anyone on the back row was a "back slider" ! LOL

It makes me think of the illustration I've heard that if you are not going towards God then you are moving away from HIM. There's no in-between. Rev. 3:16

Joe said...

I agree, I'd hate to be known as a backslider, it's such an ugly term. I remember a radio show by a Calvary Chapel pastor named Gino Geraci where he talked about the life of a backslider which really made me think. Backslider, a fence sitter useless to the lord and so untrustworthy that even the devil wouldn't have use for such a person. Pretty rough but point well made I thought.

 
Pin It button on image hover