Search This Blog


Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Chronicles of Biscuit - Gettin' Into Trouble

The Chronicles of Biscuit - Stories about our youngest son whose nickname is Biscuit.

This morning Biscuit was getting his clothes ready for Sunday Bible class and worship.  I ironed his shirt and he put it on.  He put his pants on. Then, I told him to go find his socks, shoes and belt.  He replied, "This is the part where I always get into trouble," and headed the other direction.

My husband and I laughed about Biscuits statement.  It was funny how he said it, but it is also funny because it's so true.  We were also pleased because Biscuit admitted there was a problem.  The first step of dealing with a problem is admitting that there really is one, right?  Biscuit realized the problem he had - and consistantly has - with Sunday socks, shoes, and belt. 

I thought about Biscuit's response and how he knew that there were three things that would "get him into trouble", meaning they would cause him trouble for not finding them.  What are some things in my life that I know will get me into trouble?  What are some things in your life that you know will get you into trouble?  Bring it a little more personal.....what is it that tempts me to sin?  What tempts you to sin?

Maybe gossip is my problem.  Maybe there is a certain person - that when I am around he/she - I will be tempted to gossip.  Is it safe to assume that this person is someone that may "get me into trouble"?  Perhaps I'm an alcoholic and I've gone through the steps to stay sober and have stayed that way for a while.  Now, what if a group of friends invite me to go with them to a club or a party and there will be drinking?  Should I go?  Is there a possibility that this is where I'm going to "get into trouble"?  I would think it would be a huge possibility, wouldn't you?

Satan will use whatever he can to tempt us.  He will use things.  He will use pleasure.  He will use people.  He will use power and prestige.  He will tempt us for the rest of our lives.  But, Satan cannot make us sin.  God doesn't allow him that power, just as God doesn't make us follow Him.  But, God gives us a way out and a way out - a way to not sin when we are tempted. 

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted,  he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
1 Corinthians 10:13

Biscuit faced his challenge this morning and found his "trouble".  He found his socks, shoes, and belt. He had some help finding the socks from one of his brothers. 

When facing our own "troublesome" situations, we can accept the challenge, too.  We can accept it by knowing that we have a helper.  God is there and ready to help us resist and escape.  We don't have to face "trouble" alone!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover