Search This Blog


Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Only a Spark

Did you hear the story about the golfer who set a golf course on fire?  My husband was telling me about it Tuesday night. (Click here for the full story on Yahoo.)  The golfer swung and hit a rock, which caused a spark, and started a 25 acre fire on the golf course.

It was just a freak thing that happened, but it caused major damage.  The golfer didn't mean to cause any problems at all, but that little spark became bigger and got the acres of fire going.

Now let's turn that spark around and think of it in a positive way.  I thought of this song that I first remember singing in elementary school and singing it during youth group activities and Bible camps.  It's called, "Pass It On".  Maybe you've heard it, too.  Here are the lyrics:

It only takes a spark to get a fire going,
And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing;
That's how it is with God's Love,
Once you've experienced it,
Your spread the love to everyone
You want to pass it on.

What a wonderous time is spring,
When all the tress are budding
The birds begin to sing, the flowers start their blooming;
That's how it is with God's love,
Once you've experienced it.
You want to sing, it's fresh like spring,
You want to pass it on.

I wish for you my friend
This happiness that I've found;
You can depend on God
It matters not where you're bound,
 I'll shout it from the mountain top
I want the world to know
The Lord of love has come to me
I want to pass it on.

I'll shout it from the mountain top
I want the world to know
The Lord of love has come to me
I want to pass it on.

The first verse and chorus is what I want to reflect on tonight - that "it only takes a spark to get a fire going" and how that compares to God's love.  It also talks about how once we do experience God's love, we will want to pass it on to others.  Our response to tell others about God's love and tell about all He has done for us...specifically for giving His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross for us.

Just as the tiny spark spread on the golf course, God's love starting small within our hearts and then shared with others can spread the message throughout the entire world. And it should.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:19-20

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover