Search This Blog


Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Chronicles of Biscuit - "Home is the Best Place on Earth"

Today was the first day of school for our four children.  None of them were too excited about starting, but I knew that once they were into it for a few days (or weeks), it would be okay. 

Biscuit has been especially anxious about it as I mentioned in the last "Biscuit" post. (I did remind him to pray as he had asked me to do!). 

After school Biscuit seemed fine.  He said he had a good day and that it was better that he thought it would be.  He's got a big class - 25 in all - and the room is much smaller than their 1st grade room was last year, but that didn't seem to bother him.

The kids had been home for about an hour this afternoon when I heard someone crying.  I thought it was Jacob who had his first day of middle school today. I went into the boys' bedroom and found that it was Biscuit doing the crying - lying face down on top of a pile of clothes and stuffed animals.  I asked him was was wrong, but I couldn't understand him through his sobbing.  Finally, he started spilling out his feelings, and my heart melted hearing the words he said!

"Home is the best place on earth.  The only thing better is Heaven.  I miss my home when I'm at school.  I miss being with you and Dad.  Being at home for one minute is better than being at a Ranger's game. That's what I'm going to miss when we go to Disney World - being home.  It's not fun being at school and missing playing with them (his siblings) at home.  You can learn more from your parents than you can from school.  It was fun when I was home with you and the others were in school and we would go eat Chinese food with Dad. I just want to be home.  School is so long. I'm growing up too fast."

I held Biscuit on my lap. I wanted to cry myself, and did shed a few tears a little later.  It was so sweet.  And, it kind of made me sad, too, because I miss them, too!

I know Biscuit will be okay in a week or so - once he's adjusted to the new routine.  And I have to remember that on the last day of 1st grade he cried because he didn't want to leave his teacher or his friends.  He doesn't cry often, but he's very tenderhearted and thinks deep thoughts.

My daughter used to beg me to homeschool her when she was little.  At that time I didn't think I could do it (although now I would feel like I could), and didn't feel like it was the best thing to do then. 

I asked Biscuit if he was ready to go outside and play.  He and his brothers began playing baseball.  May daughter and I were visiting about her own elementary years, and I was telling her about all the things that Biscuit has just said.  I told her that just because in her case, staying in public school helped her "get out of her shell".  I thought she might have some insight. She was shy and wouldn't talk to people when she was younger.

I loved what she said about Biscuit. He's the total opposite of how she was at that age. She said, "Mom, he's already out of his shell!"  That is so true!  He was born out of his shell!

I want Biscuit to like his school year, and I know he will.  But, I am so thankful that Biscuit loves his home. I wish that every child loved being home and wanted to be home.  Think what a different world it would be if that were the case.

It's not that Biscuit cares about the "stuff" in his home because he really would rather be in the front yard playing some sport, but it's that he knows that is where he belongs.  He knows that he is with his mom and dad, his sister and his brothers.  He is with his family and he knows that we love him and that we love each other.  I'm thankful he loves his home.  Of course, I'm more thankful that he realizes that a heavenly home would be even better than anything on earth.

I love you, Biscuit!  You make me smile :).

"But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.
John 14:2

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover