Search This Blog


Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Chronicles of Biscuit - Gum and Discipline

The Chronicles of Biscuit - Stories about our youngest son, Biscuit, who is 7 years old.

Yesterday Biscuit broke a gum-chewing rule.  When spitting out their gum in the van, we've made a rule that our children must first wrap the gum in a tissue.  This rule is to prevent the gum from getting stuck in the carpet, on the seat, or even in the little trash section we have in the van.  Hot chewed gum is a recipe for disaster!

Well, just as I glanced in the mirror on the way home yesterday, I noticed Biscuit putting his gum in a piece of a plastic JCPenney sack.  He was tearing the sack, had the gum stuck to it, but wasn't being successful getting it torn.  There were clothes in the sack, too, so that was a big concern for me.  I asked Biscuit what he was supposed to do with the gum, and why he was not doing what he was supposed to do.  Of course, he didn't have a good answer because he wasn't doing the right thing. As punishment, I told Biscuit he couldn't have gum for a week.  He understood.

Today we were again driving in the van.  Biscuit said he wished he could have gum.  Do you ever forget a punishment you've given?  I do - quite often, actually!!  But Biscuit remembered.  In fact, he said that while visiting his sister at church camp the evening before, she had offered him a piece of gum.  He told her that he was in trouble and that he couldn't have a piece.

I was so proud of Biscuit for telling his sister that he was in trouble and for him even remembering.  I would have understood if he had forgotten (since I, myself had forgotten), but he didn't.  I told Biscuit how great it was that he chose to do the right thing and didn't take the gum.  I told him how proud I was of him for telling his sister about the punishment.

Sometimes we think we may not be getting through to our children when it comes to discipline.  Sometimes it seems like it's not worth the effort - that it's easier to just give in, but in reality, it's not.  Discipline is hard sometimes and many times it makes it harder on the parent than it is for the children, doesn't it?  But, it's for their own good.  It helps them learn self-control  It helps teach them the difference between right and wrong.

Way to go, Biscuit!  I love you and I am so proud of you.   (In case you're wondering, though, Biscuit still isn't getting gum until next week.  I want him to remember the rule and not break it again!)  And, this time - I won't forget!

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

good for him...I know sometimes I had to write punishments down on the calendar to help me remember! But not very often...:)

 
Pin It button on image hover