Search This Blog


Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Least of These

UPDATE AS OF 10:00 A.M. THURSDAY MORNING:  Just over $25,000 has been raised and the matching gift of $25,000 from BREAD FOR A HUNGRY WORLD will be given to this effort, as well! 


Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples!
Sing to him, sing praises to him;tell of all his wondrous works!
Psalm 105:1-2

Last year our family helped in a great work in Honduras, through the organization called "Torch".   We will be helping this year, as well.  This organization works to raise money to feed the people of Honduras who typically get their daily food from a dump. To most of us, this seems unbelieveable, yet for these people it is a daily reality...unless they are blessed with donations from Christians around the world.

Trey Morgan, minister of the church of Christ in Childress, Texas, is one of the many supporters of this event. He and some fellow Christian friends and family even went to Honduras last year and helped at the dump - feeding the people and teaching them about the love of Jesus.  The stories from his trip were heart-wrenching, but uplifting. 

To see the pictures of the trip and see the faces of the people as they are being supplied with physical food as well as spiritual food, is one of the greatest sights that you could ever imagine.  To be able to be a part of this work is being able to share Jesus with someone you might never have the opportunity to see, but the fruit of that gift is something you will be able to cherish forever.  Helping those in need is what we are called to do as Christians.

If you would like to help support this great work, please visit Trey's blog for more information. The Dump Day Fund 2010 can be found at this link. An organization called Bread for a Hungry World will give a matching $25,000 if this effort raises $25,000. At this time (9:10 p.m. Wednesday night), Trey's effort has raised $19,000.

Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' Matthew 25:34-40
 
Pin It button on image hover