Search This Blog


Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Chronicles of Biscuit - "I Think They Like Me!"

The Chronicles of Biscuit: Stories about our youngest son, Tyler, whose nickname is Biscuit.

A few weeks ago Biscuit came up to me and said, "Mom, I'm not braggin', but I think Lauren and Zachary like me now." Lauren and Zachary are Biscuit's older sister and brother, so I was surprised that he just now thought they "liked" him. I replied, "They've always liked you. Why do you think that they are just now liking you?" He said, "I don't know. Maybe because I talk too much?"

I explained to Biscuit that sometimes younger kids (siblings) get on the nerves of older kids (siblings)and that all of us go through stages where things are more annoying to us. He seemed to take the explaination as correct and was content feeling that he was now well-liked by two of his older siblings.  I guess the other sibling (Jacob) that is the closest in age to him has liked him all along.  It didn't seem to be a concern of his, anyway.

Now to the issue: Biscuit brought up the fact that the older siblings might not of likd the fact that he talked too much.  I don't think it had anything to do with that, but he may have a point:  That sometimes he doesn't know when to be quiet! He is the most talkative of our family - or second behind me! Biscuit has a lot of friends - young friends, teenaged friends, and older friends. He's a friendly fellow, for sure. But, on the negative side of that, sometimes he doesn't understand when to keep his mouth shut.  He can be extremely outspoken.  (Unfortunately, I'm close to him in this area, as well.).  So, this is something Biscuit and I must work on, and we can work on it together.  I can say that I am better than I used to be, but it's something I have to work on constantly.

Controlling our tongue is nothing new with Biscuit and I.  The Bible speaks a lot about how important it is to control the tongue. It also points out how hard it is to control and that man cannot control it on his own.  We have to rely on God and His Spirit for help.

“Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue."
Provebs 17:28

Those who tame the tongue have developed (with the help of God) into a mature Christian.  They have learned to control the whole body.

We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check.
James 3:2


It's not enough to keep silent....to not say anything.  We must learn to use our words wisely and to use them for good.  It's re-training the tongue.  We learn to control.  Then we move to taming.  And then, finally, we re-train. It's a process.  It takes time (for most of us.) It's all part of our transformation in our Christian walk - changing from the old into the new.  Changing from a sinful life, into a forgiven-by-the-blood-of-Jesus-life.  It's learning to be more like Jesus in our words.
 
Biscuit's bond with all three of his older siblings does seemed to have gotten stronger in the past year.  Yes, they all still argue at times, but they're close and best friends, too.  Part of the change is that Biscuit has grown out of the "baby of the family" stage.  He's not as needy.  He's more mature.  And, just like me, he's working on controlling his tongue.
 
Yes, Biscuit is growing up, but he'll always be the "baby" in my heart :). I've always liked him and loved him.  And, I've got a sneaking suspicion that Lauren and Zachary have, too.

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover