Search This Blog


Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Optimistic Prayers


See this alarm clock? This is my daughter's alarm clock. It says 8:10 p.m.. But there's a problem with it. It's really 10:10 p.m. This clock is set for California time and we live in Oklahoma! I asked Lauren why she did this and she said since she's been sleeping later this summer, it makes her feel better when she wakes up late and looks at the clock. She's "pretending" that it's really earlier than it is, which is a good thing because tomorrow morning (Thursday) school starts and it really is going to be early! Way early, in fact. I don't think she's going to want to keep it on California time after tomorrow....otherwise she'll be waking up at 4:30 a.m.

Lauren tends to be pretty optimistic. She keeps a good outlook on life and doesn't have concerns about peer pressure like some teens unfortunately face. In fact, last year she asked me what peer pressure was. I'm very thankful that we've not had to face that with her or any of our children as of yet, and pray that continues throughout the rest of there years at home.

The one concern or worry Lauren does have from time to time is having to have shots of any kind. She's always been petrified of them and gets more upset than the three boys have combined! Well, about a month ago after having her teeth cleaned, we found out she had a cavity. Her first one ever. The appointment for the filling was scheduled for today, and I had kind of forgotten about it until yesterday. I mentioned to her last night while we were walking and she said, "I know. I remembered, and I'm really scared." Because I don't care for going to the dentist either, I had a hard time saying that it wouldn't hurt because I wasn't positive it would be for her - everyone is different. I did tell her that this particular dentist was better than any I ever had as a youngster. He didn't seem to hurt at all and that in the end she would be just fine.

This morning we headed to the dentist and got there a few minutes before the appointment time. After waiting an hour and twenty minutes (no complaining - just the facts -ha ha-), Lauren was called back to the dental chair. In a few minutes, the nurse assistant came out and said she didn't have a cavity and they weren't going to do anything after all! I asked, "Where did it go?" because it was there the month before. I also teased the nurse and said, "Do you know how much suffering Lauren has been through thinking she was having a cavity filled today?" We both laughed because the nurse also could tell how nervous Lauren was and now she wasn't having anything done.

When I got back to the dental chair, I said, "Lauren, you must have prayed really hard about that cavity!" The dentist explained that the little spot seen before it just shaded and it's not a cavity at the time and he recommended just watching it and seeing if it progressed into a true cavity.

After we left the dentist office, Lauren said, "Mom, you know you said that about praying hard? Well, I really did, but I thought God would just help me get through it, not take it away!"

This story reminds me of the following scripture:

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:21-22

God is able to do more than we can imagine because of His power! Isn't that awesome? I think Lauren saw first-hand what God can do today - more than she ever imagined! Thank you, God!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover