Search This Blog


Friday, March 15, 2013

What Am I Doing?

Yesterday, as I was driving down the highway, this scripture came to mind:

If anyone wishes to come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23

I began to question in my mind, "In what way am I denying myself that will cause me to walk more closely with Jesus today?"  What about you?  In what way are you denying yourself that will cause you to walk more closely with Him?

From time to time, I believe that it's good to closely examine our lives and make sure we are using our time wisely - in order that we may have time to spend getting closer to God and more closely walking with Jesus.  It may mean having to give something up in order to have this time.  Maybe I will have to get up earlier (yuck!) or stay up later.  Maybe I won't stay on the computer as long.  Maybe some of you would have to give up other forms of entertainment (TV, games, shopping, hobbies) or other self-indulgences.  But maybe it would be just getting more active in 'doing' for others....taking the time to help and serve.  Maybe it would be writing a note of encouragement or calling someone to check on them.

There are many, many ways we can deny ourselves.  The problem is that many times we just don't want to.  Our society says that life is all about "me", to do what feels good, to do what is best in my eyes and for me, and that is all that really matters.  It's totally against the norm to take "me" totally out of the picture.

But that's what Jesus did.  And so must I.  And so must you if you have committed your life to following Him.  He commands that from His followers.  As Christians, we are Christ's followers!

It's a simple plan:  Pray to God.  Read His Word.  Meditate on His Word.  Keep a thankful and grateful heart.  Strive to be more like Jesus every day.  Simple?  Yes! 

Little by little, with each passing day, by following this simple, yet profound, plan, we will find ourselves denying our selves and our selfish desires, but walking more closely with Him each day.  The wonderful thing about it is that, by doing so, others will begin to see the light of Jesus more evident in our lives.  We'll be spreading His message more and more all of the time.

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Always good to take inventory!

 
Pin It button on image hover