Search This Blog


Friday, March 1, 2013

The Chronicles of Biscuit - When People Aren't Kind

The Chronicles of Biscuit - Stories about our youngest son, whose nickname is Biscuit.

This morning Biscuit requested that I make "green eggs and ham" because they're celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday today at school.  Funny that he requested it that and he's the one who doesn't even like egg! :)

Anyway, we were in the kitchen, along with two of his siblings and he started talking about something a classmate had said about him.  Rather than get upset about the classmate, I asked if he had been mean, too.  I asked if he had said anything unkind to her and on and on.  He said no, but admitted that in the past he has probably been unkind to other classmates as well.

I asked Biscuit what God would want us to do in this situation:  forgive, pray for the classmate....and I told him to just not let it bother him, because what was said wasn't possibly true, anyway.  (It had to do with paying to get into a certain thing at school.  That isn't possible, and if it was, we certainly wouldn't pay for it!)  Biscuit's response was so honest and sweet.  He said, "But it's hard."  I agreed.  "Yes, it is Biscuit.  It really is.  Just remember that when you treat people unkind.  It's hard for them, too."

Why is it so hard to forget the negative things in life, yet so easy to forget some of the positive things?  Maybe it's because the negative things hurt us - sometimes really deeply hurt us.

There are things I remember from childhood, and sadly a lot of them are not pleasant memories, yet I really had a great childhood!  It's those negative things that stick out in my mind!  I don't dwell on them, but they just stay there and pop into mind every once in a while.  Unkind words.  Unkind actions.  Mean people or attitudes.  But you know what, I alway think back and remember some of the times when I was the mean one!  That's even worse!  I've apologized over and over to my three best friends for being ugly to them in elementary.  We all laugh about it now, but if I could go back and change that - I would!  God has forgiven me.  They have forgiven me.  I still want to 'punish' myself!  Sometimes that's just how we humans are, isn't it?!

The most important thing to remember when people aren't kind is to first remember God loves you.  But also remember that God loves the other person, too - just as much - and He wants us to love others.  Sometimes 'liking' others is hard.  Sometimes forgiving others is hard.  But loving others enough to care about their souls and where they will spend eternity means that we will love them enough, and love ourselves enough, that we won't allow unkind words and actions to ruin our relationship with Him.  He'll forgive us when we ask.  He will help us forgive others.  He will help us when we're struggling with difficult people.

So, I'm praying for Biscuit today as he goes to school and faces the struggles of elementary life.  I have a feeling that there will be more and more kinds of things like this going on for a few years - simply because it always seems to get more prevalent in the preteen to early teen years.  I ask that you say a little prayer for Biscuit, too....that when people treat him unkind....that he will also respond with kindness (or nothing at all!).  That he will treat others the way he would want to be treated.....even when it's hard.

“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” Ephesians 4:32

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Yes, and some people never get that "lesson." Sad way to live life!

 
Pin It button on image hover