Search This Blog


Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Speeding Ticket

So, a "first" happened to me Saturday night.  I got stopped for speeding and got a ticket.  I'm not proud of it.  I'm not happy about it, either.  In fact, I cried for quite a while afterwards.

I was heading to a basketball game, using the navigator (I call her Betsy.) on my phone.  I was listening closely to make sure I had taken the right road, got to the edge of a tiny town, and speeded up.  I knew I was going to be late already.  That was a fact.  Of course, I ended up later than I should have been.

When I was out of town, so I thought, I speeded up.....getting close to the speed limit for out of town in Oklahoma.  The only problem was - I wasn't out of town apparently.  A cop was at a dark church parking lot on what, I guess, was the edge of the tiny town.  He turned his lights on and turned around. I knew immediately he was going to stop me, so pulled over.

The first thing I said was, "I've never been stopped for speeding before. I never speed."  (I was forgetting that I had been one other time many years ago - also at a small town, but that time going into town.  He let me off when he saw the pile of "kid" stuff in the passengers' side and three kids in car seats in the back! He knew I wasn't paying attention to that traffic sign!)  So back to this time......The officer said he was sorry he had to be the first one.  Something told me he wasn't sorry.  He delighted in it!

He asked me if I knew how fast the speed limit was where he stopped me. I said no...that I was worried about being on the right road, but that as soon as he turned around out of the parking lot, I saw a speed limit sign - which I did.  

Because of my good record, the policeman took a few numbers off of my speed - to help me not have to pay so much.  I appreciate that, but honestly, couldn't believe he gave me a ticket!!  I expected a warning.  However, yes....I was speeding and it wasn't just a little bit over.  I was almost at the out-of-town speed.....because I thought I was out of town.

I was guilty.  I admit that, of course.  I should have been paying attention more.  

When he came back, he gave me the ticket.  I can't remember what he said, but the final thing he said at the end was, "Everyone speeds."  I replied, "I don't!  It's against the law!"  He just looked at me....like I was lying!  I guess he was thinking, "Well, you were this time."  He's right. I was.....but it wasn't intentional....not that it makes any difference.  I think what surprises me is the fact that he said, "everyone speeds".  I guess that's why everyone always passes me!  I had suspected that, but didn't really think it.  Actually I know that not "everyone" speeds.  Others are concerned about breaking that law - just like they wouldn't deliberately break any other law.

So, I'll have to pay the ticket.  Actually, he said I'd have to appear in court....but there isn't an address....just a P.O. Box.  Surely I can just mail the check?!  My husband is checking on that for me today.

My sweet husband was very understanding.  He listened to my sob story.  Later I found out that he laughed and laughed when I got off the phone with him.  I'm crying still, and apparently he was laughing!  (Payback!).  But then guess what he did?!  He called my dad and told him!!  I got a call from my dad - who lives in Texas (and me in Oklahoma).  He said he and mom were watching a ballgame and they stopped the game just to put traffic violations up as a ticker across the screen.  My name was on it, he said.  Oh, those two guys are going to get it some day soon!  :)

I'm still not very happy about the whole thing.  Now when we play games like, "I have never.....", I can't use the one:  "I have never had a speeding ticket."  I also wasn't very happy that the officer seemed to enjoy the fact that he stopped me.  I know it's his job....and I appreciate the job he and others do, but didn't like the fact that he seemed to enjoy it.  He was young.  It's a small, small town without a lot of action, I'm sure.  I'm disappointed in myself for not paying better attention and now having to pay money for this mistake.

The last thing the officer said was, "Have a nice day."  I replied, "I won't now!"  That was wrong of me.  Very, very wrong.  I should have just said "thank you", but I let the devil get ahold of my thoughts and my attitude.  Those are the times that are hard to "let your light shine", and I failed at shining.  Thankfully God forgives me when I fail and ask for His forgiveness!

Next time.....(There had better not be a next time with a speeding ticket!) I WILL choose to shine!  The next "trying time" (There will be plenty of those.) I will choose to shine!  Those are the times I need to shine the brightest.  Those are the times I must resist the temptations of the devil to react in the way he wants me to, instead of in the way God wants me to.

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God’s servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God’s servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.
This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
Romans 13:1-8

2 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Well that stinks! What in the world are you talking about with the ticker? You mean they actually put names across the television??? I was so sad to see something in our police report the other day... a young man my son's age was arrested for burglary. His Dad passed away a year ago and was a well respected judge in our town. So sad! Anyway, you'll get over it - just makes you like the rest of us! (Well we're equal now on the tickets) Love you!

Unknown said...

Your embarrassment is understandable. It’s not easy to take that you just got a ticket. However, this is something that happens to most people every once in a while. So, it’s best to just be more attentive to the traffic rules. That way, such hassles can be avoided.

Norma Richards @ Just Bail Bonds

 
Pin It button on image hover