Search This Blog


Friday, May 25, 2012

I HOPE I NEVER GET THAT FORGETFUL

I wanted to share this with you.  The older I get, I can sure relate to the cute story at the beginning.  The message of the whole thing is a good reminder to all of us to do a self-check from time to time....makin sure we are acknowledging the blessings of God. (Used by permission.)



 I HOPE I NEVER GET THAT FORGETFUL

    I heard about three sisters -- ages 92, 94, and 96 -- who lived together. One night, the 96-year-old drew a bath. She put one foot in, then paused. "Was I getting in the tub or out?" she yelled.

    The 94-year-old hollered back, "I don't know, I'll come and see." She started up the stairs, but stopped on the first one. She shouted, "Was I going up or coming down?"

    The 92-year-old was sitting at the kitchen having tea, listening to her sisters with a smirk on her face.  She shook her head and said, "I sure hope I never get that forgetful," and knocked on wood for good measure.  Then she yelled, "I'll come up and help both of you as soon as I see who's at the door."

    The saddest part about this story is that I don't find it nearly as funny as I would have 20 or 30 years ago!  As each year goes by, I find myself forgetting more and more.  I'm one of those husbands who goes into the store with a list of five things my wife has told me to buy and I come out with four things.  Some of you may be thinking that doesn't sound too bad, but you need to realize that three of those four items never were on the list to begin with!

    While my failing memory gives me some reason for concern, my bigger concern is that I develop "spiritual amnesia".  There is the possibility that I may someday take God's bountiful blessings for granted and not remember to give thanks to Him for all that He has done.  Every day God sends us blessing after blessing.  Whether we ask for them or not, whether we deserve them or not ("He makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good"), whether we acknowledge them or not, we are absolutely flooded with blessings from a good and gracious God.  So do we remember where those blessings come from?  More importantly, do we remember to give thanks to our God for them?

    The Psalmist encourages us with these words:  "Bless the LORD, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name!  Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from destruction, who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies, who satisfies your mouth with good things." (Psalm 103:1-5a)

    As the 92-year-old sister put it, "I sure hope I never get that forgetful!"  Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go see who is at the door!

    To the God who keeps on giving and giving be all praise and honor and glory!

Have a great day!

Alan Smith
Helen Street Church of Christ
Fayetteville, North Carolina

===============================

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover