Search This Blog


Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Be Somebody

This past weekend I got a text from my sister.  She was watching her son play little league, kid-pitch baseball and said she had a blog post idea for me.  It seems that when some of the young boys (age11 or so) were up to bat, their parents would yell, "BE SOMEBODY!".  The thought that parents were doing this to their children appalled me, and her, obviously.

I wondered to myself, "So, if your child strikes out, is he not "somebody"?".  "If he pops the ball up in the air and is out immediately, is he not "somebody"?"  "Is your child only "somebody" if he does good and makes you feel proud?"  All kinds of questions and sadly there aren't many good answers.

The only thing a parent could possibly mean by yelling this to their child is "make me proud".  Sad, isn't it?  Do you see that in doing this it really has nothing to do with the success of the child, but it is totally directed towards what the parent gets out of it?  Perhaps these parents want little "Johnny" to feel good about himself, but doesn't it seem like they are more worried about how "they" feel about themselves.

Adults, if you grew up with parents who were never pleased with you unless you were performing well according to their standards I'm very, very sorry.  And "kids" of all ages, if you are still living your life to try to please you parents by the way you "perform" or "succeed", I'm very, very sorry.  Parents aren't perfect.  None of us are.  And, yes, the Bible says to honor your father and mother.  But here is something you need to know:  You don't have to prove that you are somebody by doing anything.  To "BE SOMEBODY" has nothing to do with sports, academics, or any worldly success at all.  You ARE SOMEBODY!!!

On this Gratituesday, I am GRATEFUL to say that you and I can "Be Somebody" without having to perform or succeed in any worldly matter!

You and I are SOMEBODY because we were created by a Heavenly Father who knit us in our mother's womb.  You and I are SOMEBODY because He is somebody.  You and I are SOMEBODY because He sent His one and ONLY SON to earth, to live life as a human, to die on the cross for YOUR sins and to give you and I the HOPE of eternal life with Him because of the SALVATION that is found only THROUGH HIM.  You and I are SOMEBODY because we are loved by a GOD who wants ua to live with Him forever and ever.  And in becoming a child of God, you and I are SOMEBODY when we have CHOSEN to follow Him daily and have GIVEN our lives, our hearts, and our SOULS to SOMEBODY WHO MATTERS.

To "BE SOMEBODY" has nothing to do with anything in this world. Don't ever let anyone tell you any different.

For you created my inmost being; 
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; 
your works are wonderful,    
I know that full well.
Psalm 139:13-14

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

So True! Recently in my Jesus Calling devotional it talked about performance. "Bring your performance anxiety to me, and I will put in its place my unfailing love." Jeremiah 31:3

 
Pin It button on image hover