Search This Blog


Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Who Matters?

When our son Jacob was little, he would get his phrases all mixed up. (Well, truthfully, he's 13 and still does some times!!) If one of his siblings got under his skin or upset him, instead of saying 'Who cares?' as his rebuttal to them, he would say, 'Who matters?'.  I didn't want him to say 'who cares' so he would get in trouble for the whole thing, but at the same time, I would also explain to him that what he was trying to say was 'who cares' because the other phrase didn't make sense.  He was meaning, "What does it matter to you?", I think.  I would also explain to him that HE matters, that EVERYONE matters.

Today I was driving down the road and thinking of Jacob and his "Who Matters?" days. As bugs smashed into the windshield, I thought about how small they are in the scope of the great, big world.  They're so tiny!  But then I thought of myself.  In the scope of the great, big world, I'm tiny, too.  And so are you!  In fact, when you think about it, we're so tiny, it's like we don't even matter, isn't it?  Our problems, our worries, our goals, our dreams.....all of them seems like they don't matter if you look at it that way.  But then, there's another way to look at it.....

Just as I would explain to Jacob that he mattered and everyone matters, God wants us to know that, even though we may feel tiny and as if we don't matter, to Him we certainly do matter!  To Him, it's as if YOU are the only person alive.  He loves you totally and completely and unconditionally!  And to Him, I matter.  He loves ME totally, completely, and unconditionally!  You and I matter because we were created by a God who matters.  Those who are Christians matter because we were saved by a man - Jesus Christ - who mattered.  Baptized believers are filled with a Spirt who matters.

If you ever have a day where you're asking if you matter, remember that you do.  You really do.  You matter to God.  And that is enough.


He shielded him and cared for him; 
                                he guarded him as the apple of his eye... 
Deuteronomy 32:10b

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover