Search This Blog


Friday, April 20, 2012

Do You Know This Guy? Justin Case

Maybe you've met him.  Maybe he's your friend, too.  Meet my friend......or my partner in sin......or my partner in good deeds:  Justin Case.  Sometimes he helps me with my excuses and as a way to validate my fears, but sometimes he helps me do good and helps me to serve others in need.  It depends on my thoughts and my motives.

Here are some examples of Justin Case partnering with me in sin:

Yes, I see that "Mary" is hurting and lonely, but I'm not the person who should go see about her....Just-in-Case I say the wrong thing, and make matters worse.

I would help with the benefit fundraiser for the family who lost everything in a fire, but I need to keep this extra money I have Just-in-Case I have a fire or something catastrophic happen in my life.

They called and ask me to teach Bible class tomorrow, but I told them no.  I better stay home Just-in-Case I don't feel well.  I never know what is going to happen and don't want to commit to anything.

I know that idea is unethical and wrong, but if I say anything, I made get made fun of.....and I certainly don't want that.  I don't like persecution, so I'll just keep quiet....Just-in-Case.

Now, here are some examples of Justin Case helping me do good:

"Susie" just got home from the hospital. I'm going to call her "Just-in-Case" she needs someone to help her with something.

I'll make a cake and have it ready and in the freezer "Just-in-Case" there is a need for more food to take to the new family in town.

I called to volunteer to help teach Bible class Sunday, "Just-in-Case" someone is going to be gone and they can't find a substitute.

My donation to the church for VBS can be used to help teach children about Jesus.  I'll give it now Just-in-Case we are low in funds in that particular area of our budget.

You see?  Justin Case can be a good guy or a bad guy....depending on how I depend on him.  It all depends on my motives in letting him be my friend.  He is standing there ready with an excuse if I need it, or ready to help me find ways to help and serve others.

Justin Case:  Is he your partner in sin or your helper in service and good deeds?


What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?In t he same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”
   Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.  You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
  You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?  You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”and he was called God’s friend.  You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
James 2:14-24

2 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I think his name is really Satan!

Lori said...

Satan is the name behind the "bad" examples, of course....just definitely not behind the good ones. God is!

 
Pin It button on image hover