Search This Blog


Monday, October 10, 2011

What Are You Soaking Up?

(This is a kitchen sponge.  Isn't it cute?? I actually sell these in my small business rental booth.  I need to buy one for myself!)

Last night my nephew preached for a youth event. At the beginning of his lesson, he mentioned how our minds are like sponges. Immediately my mind centered around that very true statement. I thought about all of the teens (and many adults, too) who were listening to his message, and how each of our minds soak up information from birth to death.


Sponges are useful items around the house. They absorb things. They soak up spills and help keep things clean, but they can also become dirty and contaminated with germs and grime. In the same way, our minds absorb and soak up all kinds of things. We soak up good and positive things. We soak up bad and negative and sometimes even dirty things.

Sponges can be made clean. They can be disinfected to where they are like new again. Likewise, our minds can be cleaned....cleared....and made to be like new again. We can decontaminate our minds by filling them with what is good and what is holy. We can clean our minds by prayer, by reading the Bible, and by meditating on God's Word.

Ever so often it is a good idea to check our "sponges" (minds) to think about what we are soaking up.  Maybe even ask ourselves, "What Am I Soaking Up?"  Will what I am soaking up and absorbing bring me closer to God or move me away from God?  Will what I am soaking up have me looking more like Jesus...more like one of His followers?  If not, maybe it's time to decontaminate.

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
Romans 12:1

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Thankfully we can decontaminate!

 
Pin It button on image hover