Search This Blog


Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Chronicles of Biscuit - The Haircut & the Confession

The Chronicles of Biscuit:  Stories about our youngest son, Tyler, whose nickname is Biscuit.

Saturday night our three boys were getting their clothes out and ready for the next morning's worship.  We had company spending the night and figured Sunday morning would be a little more hectic with eleven people getting dressed, so asked them to get everything ready in advance.  My husband, Joe, was studying in our bedroom (he was preaching out of town the next morning).  I was in the living room with our two older boys, and he sent me a text that said, "Biscuit has picked out all of his clothes and has them on.  You should let him wear it." 

After reading the text, I became a little concerned about what Biscuit might look like when he came into the living room.  I warned Biscuit's older brothers that no matter what he had on, they could not laugh because it would hurt his feelings. 

In a few minutes, Biscuit came into the living room....all dressed up and hair fixed in a spiked mohawk-type style.  I quickly glanced at the older brothers, reminding them of the "deal" of no laughing.  It was kind of hard not to, but none of us did.  Biscuit beamed with pride as he showed me his "duds" and hairstyle.

Biscuit had on a lime green, orange, white, and blue plaid, long-sleeved, button-down shirt, a yellow and navy striped clip-on tie, and a navy suit jacket and navy suit pants....as well as the spikey-mohawk hair style that he had obviously worked on very diligently. 

Biscuit asked me, "Can I wear it?"  Years ago I would have said no.  I would have tried to explain that the plaid shirt and yellow striped tie didn't match, but now I said, "Yes."  I said yes because everyone in town or out of town that knows Biscuit would know that he picked out his attire all on his own.  They would know, without a doubt, that I wouldn't have picked out the mismatched items.  They would also know that it really doesn't matter if it matched or not.  Biscuit was pleased and was showing his independence and that is what mattered.

The next morning arrived and Biscuit quickly got dressed.  He redid his spiky mohawk.  We all went to Bible class and worship.  After that we had a potluck dinner (yum) with our church family. 

Biscuit was in line for the dinner standing by his sister and a few of her visiting guests.  When I walked up to them, Biscuit held up his arms as if he was surrendering.  Biscuit started saying, "Mom, I sinned.  I cut my hair with scissors because I didn't like this part right here (pointing to the front part of his hair line).  I shouldn't have done it and I confess.  Please forgive me."

I talked to Biscuit about his haircut and why it was wrong to cut it, (safety, didn't need it, etc.) but I also told Biscuit that I forgave him.   Biscuit knew he shouldn't have done it, and he admitted it. At the time I actually couldn't even tell he had cut it, but when it is down and not spiked up, it shows.  I haven't mentioned the haircut since then.  He'll get a reminder about the issue every time he looks at his hair in the mirror.

Biscuit learned a lesson that day.  Yes, he learned that he shouldn't have cut his hair on his own, but he also learned a valuable lesson about admitting wrong, confessing wrong, and receiving forgiveness.  As Christians, our sin doesn't just hurt us and it can also hurt others; however, most importantly, it hurts God.  It separates us from God.  Admitting sin and confessing it shows that we are acknowledging our imperfections, but relying on the One who can perfect us.  God will forgive us.  Jesus' blood sanctifies us.

In Him, we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace.
Ephesians 1:7

Parenting is great and unique way to show God's love to our children.  There are times when they need and deserve discipline and they get it, but then they are forgiven.  There are other times when they need and deserve discipline, but then they are not punished....only forgiven.  Sometimes they get pardoned. 

God does the very same thing with His children.  Some times He disciplines.  Some times He pardons.  All the time He forgives when we ask Him.

For the LORD disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child.
Hebrews 12:6

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I'm proud of you for allowing that! The early childhood instructor in me loves it when parents let them do their own thing and don't stifle them.

 
Pin It button on image hover