Search This Blog


Monday, May 16, 2011

Measuring Spoons

Several years ago I needed some new measuring spoons and measuring cups.  After almost 20 years of marriage and my measuring devices sometimes getting carried out to help with my husband's/children's goat projects, my measuring utensil supply had dwindled down drastically.

One day while in a popular dollar store, I came across some measuring spoons that I liked.  I bought them and used them from time to time, while still continuing to use some of my older ones.  Every time I used the new tablespoon, though, it just seemed like something was wrong.  It seemed too big.  I didn't check it, though.  Of course a brand new measuring spoon would be the correct measurement, wouldn't it?  Of course nothing would be sold that would be miss-sized, would it?  Or would it?

After some wondering, I decided to check it.  After pouring one tablespoon of water into the new tablespoon and comparing it to one of my old ones, the new one was much bigger - almost another 1/2 tablespoon bigger!  I couldn't believe it!  That's a big difference and a big problem for lots of recipe ingredients!

The standard we use in measuring makes a difference, doesn't it?  It makes a difference in baking.  It makes a difference in life.  The standard we use as a guide in how we should live really does matter.  So, what standard are you using?  Are you using a standard that's too small - too shallow?  Are you using a standard that's too big - too lofty and unattainable?  The best standard to use is God's standard - the Bible.  The Bible is the only source of what is true and what is right.  It is the perfect standard.  We don't have to "measure" up.  We can't ever be "good enough".  We just have to be willing to submit to God and give our lives totally to him and to allow Jesus into our lives according to His plan.

So, ask yourself this question:  What standard am I using as a guide to measure my life?  Am I using one that's too big or too small?  Or am I using God's standard?  It really matters!

So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
Ephesians 4:11-14

On this Gratituesday, I am grateful for God's measurement guide - His Holy Word.  May it be the only standard we use to measure our lives.  Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover