Search This Blog


Friday, April 29, 2011

Happy Birthday, Joe!

The first week in April, I came up with a sneaky plan.  I let the two oldest kids in on my idea and they agreed that it sounded like a good idea.  I decided to surprise my husband, Joe, with a special birthday gift...something he would never expect me to do.  For his birthday, which is the 30th,  I wanted to give him Texas Rangers baseball tickets.  The only time we could go was Easter afternoon.

The problem with my plan was that that Easter weekend is alumni weekend in Tipton  for the school and also for the children's home where Joe works.  On that Saturday, Joe has to be in town for Saturday morning and a little bit of the afternoon.  I wasn't sure if he would be able to leave Saturday afternoon or not.  I called the secretary at work and she thought it would be just fine for him to leave in the early afternoon.  So the tickets were ordered.

As the days went on and I waited for the tickets to arrive in the mail, I began to worry a little bit.  I was worried because I got to thinking, "What if Joe is preaching somewhere (and hasn't told me yet) on that Sunday and he can't leave?"  He preaches at Tipton once a month, but that's usually the second Sunday, so that was clear.  But also, part of his job involves speaking for churches that support Tipton Home.  Maybe I didn't know he was going to be out of town?

I decided we would have to give him the tickets just as soon as we got them in the mail - just so we would know if it wouldn't work and also so he wouldn't schedule anything for that day.  Our plan worked.  The kids (all four of them) and I were so excited!  Joe was excited and surprised at our gift!  Our first Rangers' game of the new baseball season!

So Saturday we headed to Arlington.  My parents were also going to the game with us and we met up with them that evening.  Of course we ate at our favorite place, Pappasitos!  Joe was so excited to wear the big sombrero and have the wait staff sing their birthday song to him :).  Of course, the free dessert was enjoyed by several at our table!

Sunday we woke up early and drove to Plano for early morning worship and class.  Joe's brother, James, preaches at McDermott Road church, so that makes it handy (though 50 minutes away) when we're in that area.  After worship and class we headed to the ballpark.  We were the first ones in the 3rd base gate.  The kids were thrilled!
(Joe and the kiddos)

The Rangers won the game, the kids were able to run the bases after the game, and we headed back home. Joe had a great birthday surprise!

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

so glad it all worked out! Joe looks good in a sombrero!

 
Pin It button on image hover