Search This Blog


Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Unbelievable!

Typically my husband is the one who tells the kids a "wild, seemingly unbelievable" story, but occasionally I can get one by, too.  Thanksgiving Eve Day (a big celebration evening for my husband's side of the family) of 2009, my children were helping me make snack foods.  It just happened to be the middle two boys with me in the kitchen at the time, but one of them was making Hawaiian Roll Sandwiches.

As he worked, Jacob asked me, "How do they get the holes in Swiss cheese?" 

Working on something with my back to the boys I answered, "A mouse eats it and makes the holes." 

Thinking there was no way either of them would believe me, I laughed inside at that possibility. 

But, then Jacob asked, "Well, how do they get the holes all the same size?" 

Now I'm thinking, "Ummmmm, Jacob.....I just told you that a MOUSE made those holes in the cheese and all you ask is how they got them all the same size????" 

But, I quickly thought of a "way".  "They use trained mice," I answered. 

To my surprise, neither of the boys said a word.  They just kept on working! 

I just about busted out in laughter, but instead went and typed a status for my Facebook page poking fun at my gullible boys!! (Isn't that what all good mammas do??? Hee Hee!!)

Well, many months passed and the boys were, again, working on snacks foods for some occasion.  I reminded them of the conversation about the Swiss cheese and they both remembered.  So, I came clean.  I said, "Mice don't make the holes in Swiss cheese."  I figured surely they had really realized that the whole thing was a joke, but I quickly learned they didn't.

Jacob seemed a little puzzled and asked a very thought-provoking question, "Well, then how does it get those holes????"

I had to answer:  "I don't really know."  I was now shocked that he seemed a little disappointed that my far-fetched tale wasn't true!!
So, I did some research and guess what I found?  Swiss cheese is made from Hole-y Cows!!!  (That's a joke, but I made it up myself - just right now - sitting here at my computer!! My husband will be really proud of me for that one!! Oh, no! He's rubbing off on me :).  Laffy Taffy will probably want to hire me, don't you think??

Well, I actually looked up the real way Swiss cheese is made and here's what I know:  I don't know if I want to read too much about how cheese is made.  It might seem as gross as having a mouse eat holes in it. 
Just eat it and enjoy it.....but don't think about it....okay? Trust me on this.....

My devotional thought for the day is this:

Some religious ideas out there in the world seem unbelievable, yet people believe them.  Some ideas out there seem ridiculous, yet people believe them.  God's Word is the only source of what is true and right.  It is written by men, yet inspired by God. 

His Word is BELIEVABLE!  His Word will transform.  His Word is unchanging.
Study it.  Learn from it.  Live by it.

...until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.  From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.
Ephesians 4:13-16

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover