Search This Blog


Friday, November 12, 2010

LOL - Living Our Legacy - Part 5

Another gift to open in our LOL - Living Our Legacy series is the gift of TIME. Time is important to us as we live our legacy. But what do we do with out time? How do we use our time? Is time with our immediate family important? Is time with our church family important?

Look at and read this little poem.  I used this poem in a 4-H demonstration 30 years ago, but have never forgotten it.
“I have just a minute, with 60 seconds in it,
forced upon me, can't refuse it,
didn't seek it, didn't choose it.
But it's up to me to use it. I must suffer if I loose it.
Give account if I abuse it.
Just a tiny little minute, but eternity is in it.”
Author Unknown

How we choose to use our time matters. It matters to us. It matters to God. And, it shapes our legacy.

We often hear – and maybe say ourselves, “There's just not enough time.” Well, first of all, we should realize that it's not “our” time anyway. It's God's time. He's given us the gift of another year, another day, another minute.

Secondly, we often make choices of how to use our time, that actually take that time away from what we should be done. We can literally fill every minute of every day with something. In fact – we can double and triple fill each minute, if we allow it. We need to remember that many of the “things” we count as obligations, are really just things we choose to do. Not things we “have” to do. We must use our time wisely.

When we allow our houses to be filled with things that keep us from time with God, we are filling our houses with things that will keep us from passing on the legacy of a Christian home built on a firm foundation. As Christian home builders, we must guard against time-robbers that will keep us from doing the things God wants us to do. Remember that it's a choice to take time away from God, from your family, and from your church family.

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3:17

Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that. As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."
James 4:13-17

What is your favorite day of the week? For many people, it’s Someday. But Someday is a hazardous word if you and I want to leave a positive legacy. Consider these thoughts below.  Maybe you can think of even more.

Someday, I’m going to be the parent I always wanted to be. (Remember that children grow up quickly. Your Someday will be gone before you know it!)
Someday I’m going to slow down and begin enjoying relationships with my family and my friends.
Someday I'm going to visit the sick, help the needy.
Someday, I’m going to take God serious.
Someday, I’m going to get involved in the church.
Someday, I’m going to go study the Bible more or become a Christian.
Someday, I’m going to serve others and volunteer my time to help others.
Someday, I’m going to share the Good News about Jesus.
Someday.
Live a positive legacy of your time.

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover