Search This Blog


Wednesday, October 13, 2010

New Things - Like Makeup and Such

I'm the type of person that just sticks to the same old thing in a lot of ways.  Same favorite colors of clothing, same furniture arrangement in our home, same makeup brands and colors.  Mostly the reason I "stick to the same old thing" is because I don't like change in those areas, but in the makeup area, I'm too cheap frugal to change.  I don't want to buy something and then not like it.  I don't like to waste the products if they don't work out, so I don't waste money on trying new products. I just stay with the same thing all of the time.

A few weeks ago, due to certain circumstances, I had to try something new.  I had to try different makeup.  And you know what?  I liked it!  It was fun and it worked (well at least I thought it looked good!)  Who knew that new and different makeup might actually be better??? Probably all of you!

Here's what happened:  I went to the QMCC ladies retreat and at the end of the retreat, I packed up my stuff in the vehicle.  During breakfast a friend brought me my makeup bag, saying I had left it in the cabin. I joked that if I had left it it at QMCC, I would have had to wear three teenage girls' makeup the next day.  I said that because after the retreat I was going to stop by my house, unload the retreat decorations and clothes, and head to Arlington, Texas, with my husband, daughter, and two of her friends for an overnight trip (you can read about that trip here).  We both laughed about that possibility of borrowing makeup from teenagers.  Little did I know that would be exactly what would be happening the next day!

I got back home and my sons and husband all helped me unload.  My makeup bag and Bible were in one of the decoration buckets that my son, Zachary, took in. I grabbed my Bible, but failed to notice that my makeup bag was in there, as well.  Into the house it went, and in the opposite direction I went.  I didn't notice that my makeup bag was missing until the next day.

Early Sunday morning we woke up early to get ready for worship and Bible class.  My husband and I were in one hotel room and the three teenage girls were in an adjoining room.  I asked my husband if he had seen my makeup bag.  He hadn't.  He even went down to the car and checked.  It was no where!  I knocked on the girls' door and told them my problem...asking if I could borrow theirs.  My daughter has a much darker complexion than I do, so I borrowed some of her stuff and some from one of her lighter-complected friends.

I was so surprised that I liked a lot of my daughter's makeup!  In fact, some of the things I liked even better than my own.  I couldn't believe it, really!  So, the next time I went to the store, guess what I did?  I bought new makeup.  Aren't you proud of me?????  I got out of that makeup rut and tried something new! (You can clap for me....it's okay :).  Who knows?  I might even decide to rearrange furniture some day. (doubtful)

New things.  Sometimes it's hard to try new things.  But unlike my wanting to try new makeup because I didn't want to waste money, many new things we could try don't cost a thing.  Now they may make us feel uncomfortable.  They may make us nervous.  But we mustn't let fear keep us from trying something new....especially from trying something new as it relates to our service to God.

At that ladies retreat I mentioned, we needed someone to lead the singing.  The "usual" song leader was busy that weekend and wasn't going to be able to attend.  I sent a message to a friend that I knew was coming and asked her if she would lead the songs.  She said yes.  I don't think she realized just how many songs she would be leading over the course of the over-night event!  She later said that, even though at first she wasn't sure about it, trying something new was good for her.  She did an excellent job!

Another friend at the retreat gave a devotional thought.  She, too, wasn't sure about doing it when I asked her, but she said yes anyway.  She decided to try something new, just because I had asked her (which is another lesson for us:  It never hurts to ask!).  She also did an excellent job.

Both of these women tried something new.  They both discovered a new talent.  They both found new talents that can be used in their service to God.  Isn't that great??!

So, will you try something new? Maybe you can just start out small....like me.....and try some new makeup!  Or maybe you can try something really worthwhile, such as branching out and finding a new talent like my friends did. 

Try something new.  Find a new way to serve God.  Tell someone about Jesus.

You can do it!  Then, write and tell me and I'll clap for you (and pray a prayer of thanks for you), 'mkay?

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover